St Lucia - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
- Where are the best beaches?
- When is the Jazz Festival?
When is the best time to go?
The best time of year to visit St Lucia is between December and March, when the island experiences its driest weather. Despite being the winter season, temperatures remain at a very pleasant 27 degrees Celsius on average. The summer months are hotter and the hurricane season falls between June and October, which often brings wetter weather if not tropical storms.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens don't need a visa to enter St Lucia on visits of up to 42 days. You'll need to apply for an extension from the immigration department if you want to stay longer. Your passport should also be valid for at least six months from your date of entry to the country. The same rules apply to visitors with European nationality as well as from a few other countries. To see the official list of countries exempt from visa when travelling to St Lucia visit the Caribbean nation's official government webpage.
How can I get there?
Virgin Atlantic and British Airways both offer direct flights to St Lucia, while there are many other airlines that also offer connections from the US, including American Airlines and Delta Airlines, while LIAT offers flights to St Lucia from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The average flight time from the UK to St Lucia, without any stops, is eight and a half hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. US dollars are widely accepted across the island, although you'll normally be given change in EC dollars. You can easily exchange foreign currency in St Lucia's banks.
What is there to see and do?
As well as a gorgeous Caribbean coastline, St Lucia boasts some stunning mountain and rainforest landscapes. You can head into the island's interior for fantastic hiking routes along verdant forest paths and past beautiful waterfalls. Don't miss the chance to visit Soufriere Volcano - the only drive-in volcanic crater in the world. There are numerous nature reserves across the island, each of which will allow you to get close to some of St Lucia's fascinating wildlife while enjoying the breathtaking natural scenery. Horse-back riding and cycling are other ways to get around if you don't fancy hiking. On the coast, you'll have access to a range of water sports, including windsurfing, water skiing and sailing. Scuba diving is also popular in St Lucia's clear waters, with dive sites suitable for beginners as those with some experience. St Lucia is also a wonderful place to get under the skin of West Indian culture, with its warm and friendly people, its flavourful cuisine and colourful he
Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
Most major credit cards are widely accepted in St Lucia, with Visa, MasterCard and American Express being among the ones that you can use here.
Where are the best beaches?
There are lots of stunning beaches on St Lucia, with the island's east coast fringed by the Atlantic Ocean while its western side is lapped by the Caribbean Sea. One of the best beaches on the island is the ever-popular Rodney Bay, which can be found in the northern coast. As well as a stunning stretch of sand, there are lots of restaurants and bars here, in addition to a high-end marina.
When is the Jazz Festival?
The date of the St Lucia Jazz Festival varies each year, although in 2014 it is expected to take place from 30th April to 11th May. It is usually scheduled in May but it's always advisable to check the precise dates with one of our travel advisors before you book if you're keen on attending this vibrant and colourful event.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Save up to a fantastic 65% in 2017 and 2018 and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
Escape to a vibrant resort of Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort nestled in St Lucia's most striking landscape - beautiful Labrelotte Bay; it's captivating for families and couples
- Book a Premium Ocean View and receive a complimentary upgrade to a 1 Bedroom Villa no pool
- Located in beautiful Labrelotte Bay on the island of Saint Lucia in the style of a picturesque Mediterranean village
- Free Watersports including snorkelling, windsurfing and more
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Take advantage of savings up to 30% for travel in 2017 and 2018
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste included in your all inclusive plan
- 1 Child stays and eats free in a Premium Double or 2 Children stay free in a Family Suite
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Book now and receive a FREE upgrade
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...
Nestled within lush tropical gardens, the Bel Jou Hotel St. Lucia boasts stunning, elevated views over Castries and the...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
Ritz-Carlton has announced that it will open a brand-new luxury resort in St Lucia in 2021, after signing a management agreement with Range Developments. The resort will have 180 guest rooms and suites, swimming pools, a spa, restaurants, meeting space, and it will be part of the Black May Master Development on the southern tip of the Caribbean island.
A new General Manager has been appointed at the Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort in St Lucia. Mark Sterner has taken over the role at the luxury beachfront resort, and he brings nearly 25 years of experience in the hospitality industry after working in upscale hotels including the Viceroy Yas, Abu Dhabi, the Viceroy Maldives and the Burj Al Arab in Dubai.
The Fairmont Saint Lucia hotel is scheduled to open to guests in late 2019 with 120 guest rooms and 40 private residential villas. Located in Sunset Bay on the southwest coast of the Caribbean island, the new hotel has been designed by WATG and Wimberly Interiors and the property has been built into a natural amphitheatre surrounded by lush hillside, trickling streams, and mango groves.