St Lucia - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
- Where are the best beaches?
- When is the Jazz Festival?
When is the best time to go?
The best time of year to visit St Lucia is between December and March, when the island experiences its driest weather. Despite being the winter season, temperatures remain at a very pleasant 27 degrees Celsius on average. The summer months are hotter and the hurricane season falls between June and October, which often brings wetter weather if not tropical storms.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens don't need a visa to enter St Lucia on visits of up to 42 days. You'll need to apply for an extension from the immigration department if you want to stay longer. Your passport should also be valid for at least six months from your date of entry to the country. The same rules apply to visitors with European nationality as well as from a few other countries. To see the official list of countries exempt from visa when travelling to St Lucia visit the Caribbean nation's official government webpage.
How can I get there?
Virgin Atlantic and British Airways both offer direct flights to St Lucia, while there are many other airlines that also offer connections from the US, including American Airlines and Delta Airlines, while LIAT offers flights to St Lucia from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The average flight time from the UK to St Lucia, without any stops, is eight and a half hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. US dollars are widely accepted across the island, although you'll normally be given change in EC dollars. You can easily exchange foreign currency in St Lucia's banks.
What is there to see and do?
As well as a gorgeous Caribbean coastline, St Lucia boasts some stunning mountain and rainforest landscapes. You can head into the island's interior for fantastic hiking routes along verdant forest paths and past beautiful waterfalls. Don't miss the chance to visit Soufriere Volcano - the only drive-in volcanic crater in the world. There are numerous nature reserves across the island, each of which will allow you to get close to some of St Lucia's fascinating wildlife while enjoying the breathtaking natural scenery. Horse-back riding and cycling are other ways to get around if you don't fancy hiking. On the coast, you'll have access to a range of water sports, including windsurfing, water skiing and sailing. Scuba diving is also popular in St Lucia's clear waters, with dive sites suitable for beginners as those with some experience. St Lucia is also a wonderful place to get under the skin of West Indian culture, with its warm and friendly people, its flavourful cuisine and colourful he
Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
Most major credit cards are widely accepted in St Lucia, with Visa, MasterCard and American Express being among the ones that you can use here.
Where are the best beaches?
There are lots of stunning beaches on St Lucia, with the island's east coast fringed by the Atlantic Ocean while its western side is lapped by the Caribbean Sea. One of the best beaches on the island is the ever-popular Rodney Bay, which can be found in the northern coast. As well as a stunning stretch of sand, there are lots of restaurants and bars here, in addition to a high-end marina.
When is the Jazz Festival?
The date of the St Lucia Jazz Festival varies each year, although in 2014 it is expected to take place from 30th April to 11th May. It is usually scheduled in May but it's always advisable to check the precise dates with one of our travel advisors before you book if you're keen on attending this vibrant and colourful event.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus Book a Garden View and get upgraded to an Ocean View!!!
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
Become familiar with the interesting and vibrant culture of St Lucia while you relax and have fun on an 8-day holiday at...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
St Lucia has announced the line-up for a series of new summer festivals taking place between May and October, 2017. SOLEIL – the Saint Lucia Summer Festival will be made up of six events taking place on the Caribbean island, and will include St Lucia Jazz in May, Roots & Soul in June, Saint Lucia Food & Rum Festival in August, and the Arts & Heritage Festival in October.
St Lucia is planning to open a brand new sports and leisure resort nicknamed "the Pearl of the Caribbean". Government officials have launched a public consultation to develop the resort that will be located on the south of the Caribbean island. It will have a marina, a shopping mall, holiday villas, a casino, residential apartments, a Free Trade Zone, a race course, and a variety of entertainment and leisure facilities.
Hot on the heels of the opening of its overwater suites in Jamaica’s Montego Bay, Sandals Resorts has announced it will unveil a collection of overwater bungalows at its Sandals Grande St Lucian resort on the Caribbean island of St Lucia this May 2017.