St Lucia - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
- Where are the best beaches?
- When is the Jazz Festival?
When is the best time to go?
The best time of year to visit St Lucia is between December and March, when the island experiences its driest weather. Despite being the winter season, temperatures remain at a very pleasant 27 degrees Celsius on average. The summer months are hotter and the hurricane season falls between June and October, which often brings wetter weather if not tropical storms.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens don't need a visa to enter St Lucia on visits of up to 42 days. You'll need to apply for an extension from the immigration department if you want to stay longer. Your passport should also be valid for at least six months from your date of entry to the country. The same rules apply to visitors with European nationality as well as from a few other countries. To see the official list of countries exempt from visa when travelling to St Lucia visit the Caribbean nation's official government webpage.
How can I get there?
Virgin Atlantic and British Airways both offer direct flights to St Lucia, while there are many other airlines that also offer connections from the US, including American Airlines and Delta Airlines, while LIAT offers flights to St Lucia from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The average flight time from the UK to St Lucia, without any stops, is eight and a half hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. US dollars are widely accepted across the island, although you'll normally be given change in EC dollars. You can easily exchange foreign currency in St Lucia's banks.
What is there to see and do?
As well as a gorgeous Caribbean coastline, St Lucia boasts some stunning mountain and rainforest landscapes. You can head into the island's interior for fantastic hiking routes along verdant forest paths and past beautiful waterfalls. Don't miss the chance to visit Soufriere Volcano - the only drive-in volcanic crater in the world. There are numerous nature reserves across the island, each of which will allow you to get close to some of St Lucia's fascinating wildlife while enjoying the breathtaking natural scenery. Horse-back riding and cycling are other ways to get around if you don't fancy hiking. On the coast, you'll have access to a range of water sports, including windsurfing, water skiing and sailing. Scuba diving is also popular in St Lucia's clear waters, with dive sites suitable for beginners as those with some experience. St Lucia is also a wonderful place to get under the skin of West Indian culture, with its warm and friendly people, its flavourful cuisine and colourful he
Do they accept credit cards in St Lucia?
Most major credit cards are widely accepted in St Lucia, with Visa, MasterCard and American Express being among the ones that you can use here.
Where are the best beaches?
There are lots of stunning beaches on St Lucia, with the island's east coast fringed by the Atlantic Ocean while its western side is lapped by the Caribbean Sea. One of the best beaches on the island is the ever-popular Rodney Bay, which can be found in the northern coast. As well as a stunning stretch of sand, there are lots of restaurants and bars here, in addition to a high-end marina.
When is the Jazz Festival?
The date of the St Lucia Jazz Festival varies each year, although in 2014 it is expected to take place from 30th April to 11th May. It is usually scheduled in May but it's always advisable to check the precise dates with one of our travel advisors before you book if you're keen on attending this vibrant and colourful event.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Free daily breakfast and a private terrace and balcony in every room
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
- All Guests gain complimentary access to Bay Gardens Beach Resort's Splash Island Water Park and Water sports!
- Delight in a wide variety of massages and therapies at the beutiful La Mer Spa
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Exclusive Half Term special offer, limited availability so book now!
- Kids can enjoy a playground as well as a kids' club open daily for 2 to 11 year olds
- Non-motorised water sports including hobie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
With 30 cottage style suites, lush tropical garden, and a secluded sandy beach, the hotel is sure to make your tropical getaway truly unforgettable.
- Visit the hotel's Open Air Spa Pavilion to enjoy a variety of beauty treatments and relaxing massages as well as the soothing sounds of the garden and the cooling tropical breeze.
- Have some fun in the sun and on the water with a variety of watersports available, including hobie cat sailing, kayaking, snorkelling, and more.
- Enjoy a variety of Exclusive Experiences offered by the hotel, including daily Yoga and Pilates classes, hiking tours, and an open air fitness area.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
St Lucia will add another 2,000 hotel rooms over the next four years, according to the St Lucia Tourism Board. New hotels and expansions to existing hotels will see the addition of new hotel rooms for holidaymakers. Project include the new Fairmont St Lucia on Sabwisha Beach, a new 500-room Hilton dual-hotel project in the Reduit beach area, and 250 rooms at the new Honeymoon Bay Resort in Cannelles.
After vowing to improve the conditions for inhabitants of the southern part of the island, the St Lucia government has seen great opportunity in authorizing to build a lavish resort in Choiseul. The Fairmont hotel, which should open its doors to the public by 2019, is expected to be a great source of income and progress to the region.
The new Harbor Club hotel is scheduled to open on the Caribbean island of St Lucia later this year. The four-star hotel will have 115 suites overlooking Rodney Bay's marina on the north-west coast of the island.