A practical guide to Cancun
Mexico has a culture of festivity and celebration, which can be a great attraction to visitors. To make the most of the fiesta atmosphere, try aiming for:
- 16th September, Independence day: where flags wave from the buildings and coloured lights adorn the streets.
- 1st and 2nd November, Mexican Day of the Dead: Colourful altars are made to honour the dead, accompanied by music and feasting.
- 16th December, Las Posadas: Candlelit processions to honour the journey that Joseph and Mary took in the lead up to Christmas.
National holidays and other celebrations:
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Mexican Constitution Day: 5th February. Celebrates the 1857 and 1917 Constitutions after Mexico achieved their independency from Spain.
- Birth of Benito Juarez: Third Monday in March. The birthday of a national hero.
- Easter: Between the end of March and the end of April.
- Labour Day (May Day):1st May.
- Independence Day: 16th September. Celebrates the Independence War against colonial Spanish rule.
- Revolution Day: Third Monday of November. Start of the Mexican Revolution.
- Change of Federal Government: December. Once every six years.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
The local currency in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico, is the Mexican peso ($ or MXN). US Dollars are also widely accepted.
- For the best rates, bring British pounds to exchange into pesos at local banks.
- If using dollars, you may find you pay more for your goods, so we recommend using pesos.
- ATM machines accept international cards and charge a small fee for withdrawals.
- Credit cards can be used in many restaurants and shops and offer you an excellent rate.
Spicy Mexican food is the obvious thing to try but it's possible to find virtually every cuisine in the world at Cancun's eclectic restaurants. We highly recommend venturing out for a meal.
For the most authentic cuisine, small local restaurants guarantee the most genuine, homemade Mexican meals. The most traditional local fare you can get in Cancun is Yucatecan cuisine - a blend of Mexican and European flavours, which are mouth-wateringly tasty.
Fish lovers will be pleased to find an incredible selection of seafood restaurants scattered around the city and, for the highest level of culinary sophistication and variety, we love the three AAA Five Diamond Restaurants in Cancun, two of which are found inside the Ritz Carlton Cancun and the other at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.
Downtown Cancun, also known as ‘El Centro' is home to many excellent restaurants. Along Avenida Tulum and on Calle Yaxchilan you'll find a line-up of fantastic eateries, which tend to be far cheaper than those in the Cancun Strip and allow you to really soak up the typical Mexican atmosphere. You might even be serenaded by an authentic band of Mariachis.
Cancun is hot and sunny all year round, with temperatures hovering around 25°C throughout all seasons. With minimal climate variation; Cancun holidays are popular throughout the year.
- The most pleasant time to visit is usually between December and April, when temperatures are a little milder and rain infrequent.
- The rainy season occurs between May and October, with May and June seeing peak temperatures and the highest humidity levels.
- The dry season runs from February to early May, with only the odd scattered shower.
- Cancun is located inside the hurricane belt and, although high strength hurricanes are rarely seen here, they are most likely to hit in September and October.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
- Family-friendly resort offering a heated kids pool and a Mayan-themed Explorer’s Club that features a planetarium and pyramid-shaped climbing wall
- Intimate wine cellar offering international premium brand wine selections
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable 8-day holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
The newly-opened Turquoize at Hyatt Ziva Cancun in Mexico has had state-of-the-art Crave T2 tablets installed into its guest rooms, bringing guests a brand new in-suite technology experience. The tablets allow guests to instantly order services, browse menus, make reservations, and read live updates and promotions from the comfort of their luxury guest rooms.
The Ocean Riviera Paradise by H10 Hotels has opened its doors in the Riviera Maya in Mexico. The five-star resort is located six kilometres from Playa del Carmen, and it has 974 guest rooms and suites, plus upscale facilities including numerous swimming pools, a sports area, ten diverse restaurants, 13 bars, lounges and cafes, and the Despacio Spa Centre.
Marriott International is adding another hotel to its Caribbean portfolio, with a new-build hotel in Puerto Cancun in Mexico. The Renaissance Cancun will be built in partnership with Grupo Diestra between the Hotel Zone in Cancun and downtown Cancun, and it will have 180 guest rooms and suites, an 18-hole Tom Weiskopf-golf course, a marina, cinemas, restaurants, shops, and a 270-acre ecological reserve.