A practical guide to Cancun
Mexico has a culture of festivity and celebration, which can be a great attraction to visitors. To make the most of the fiesta atmosphere, try aiming for:
- 16th September, Independence day: where flags wave from the buildings and coloured lights adorn the streets.
- 1st and 2nd November, Mexican Day of the Dead: Colourful altars are made to honour the dead, accompanied by music and feasting.
- 16th December, Las Posadas: Candlelit processions to honour the journey that Joseph and Mary took in the lead up to Christmas.
National holidays and other celebrations:
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Mexican Constitution Day: 5th February. Celebrates the 1857 and 1917 Constitutions after Mexico achieved their independency from Spain.
- Birth of Benito Juarez: Third Monday in March. The birthday of a national hero.
- Easter: Between the end of March and the end of April.
- Labour Day (May Day):1st May.
- Independence Day: 16th September. Celebrates the Independence War against colonial Spanish rule.
- Revolution Day: Third Monday of November. Start of the Mexican Revolution.
- Change of Federal Government: December. Once every six years.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
The local currency in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico, is the Mexican peso ($ or MXN). US Dollars are also widely accepted.
- For the best rates, bring British pounds to exchange into pesos at local banks.
- If using dollars, you may find you pay more for your goods, so we recommend using pesos.
- ATM machines accept international cards and charge a small fee for withdrawals.
- Credit cards can be used in many restaurants and shops and offer you an excellent rate.
Spicy Mexican food is the obvious thing to try but it's possible to find virtually every cuisine in the world at Cancun's eclectic restaurants. We highly recommend venturing out for a meal.
For the most authentic cuisine, small local restaurants guarantee the most genuine, homemade Mexican meals. The most traditional local fare you can get in Cancun is Yucatecan cuisine - a blend of Mexican and European flavours, which are mouth-wateringly tasty.
Fish lovers will be pleased to find an incredible selection of seafood restaurants scattered around the city and, for the highest level of culinary sophistication and variety, we love the three AAA Five Diamond Restaurants in Cancun, two of which are found inside the Ritz Carlton Cancun and the other at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.
Downtown Cancun, also known as ‘El Centro' is home to many excellent restaurants. Along Avenida Tulum and on Calle Yaxchilan you'll find a line-up of fantastic eateries, which tend to be far cheaper than those in the Cancun Strip and allow you to really soak up the typical Mexican atmosphere. You might even be serenaded by an authentic band of Mariachis.
Cancun is hot and sunny all year round, with temperatures hovering around 25°C throughout all seasons. With minimal climate variation; Cancun holidays are popular throughout the year.
- The most pleasant time to visit is usually between December and April, when temperatures are a little milder and rain infrequent.
- The rainy season occurs between May and October, with May and June seeing peak temperatures and the highest humidity levels.
- The dry season runs from February to early May, with only the odd scattered shower.
- Cancun is located inside the hurricane belt and, although high strength hurricanes are rarely seen here, they are most likely to hit in September and October.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Up to two kids go free on selected dates
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Ocean View
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
No matter if you're returning or if it's your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
NIZUC Resort & Spa in Mexico is celebrating receiving its first AAA Five Diamond rating. The luxury hotel in Cancun was once a base station for Mayan astronomers, and it has 274 guest rooms, six restaurants, three bars, swimming pools, kids' clubs, tennis courts, modern fitness centre, a conference centre, and a lavish 30,000-square-foot spa facility.
The new Haven Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa is currently in the process of adding the last finishing touches before it opens to the world next 5th October 2018. Gearing up to the grand opening, we take a look at what the new resort will bring to the Mexican Caribbean thanks to a newly released promotional video.
The province of Quintana Roo in Mexico is now home to more than 100,000 hotel rooms. The state has the largest tourism infrastructure in the country, with the majority of hotels in the tourist destinations of Cancun and the Riviera Maya. According to the Director of the Tourism Promotion Council of Quintana Roo another 3,000 hotel rooms are expected to be added to the region by next year.