A practical guide to Cancun
Mexico has a culture of festivity and celebration, which can be a great attraction to visitors. To make the most of the fiesta atmosphere, try aiming for:
- 16th September, Independence day: where flags wave from the buildings and coloured lights adorn the streets.
- 1st and 2nd November, Mexican Day of the Dead: Colourful altars are made to honour the dead, accompanied by music and feasting.
- 16th December, Las Posadas: Candlelit processions to honour the journey that Joseph and Mary took in the lead up to Christmas.
National holidays and other celebrations:
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Mexican Constitution Day: 5th February. Celebrates the 1857 and 1917 Constitutions after Mexico achieved their independency from Spain.
- Birth of Benito Juarez: Third Monday in March. The birthday of a national hero.
- Easter: Between the end of March and the end of April.
- Labour Day (May Day):1st May.
- Independence Day: 16th September. Celebrates the Independence War against colonial Spanish rule.
- Revolution Day: Third Monday of November. Start of the Mexican Revolution.
- Change of Federal Government: December. Once every six years.
- Christmas Day: 25th December.
The local currency in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico, is the Mexican peso ($ or MXN). US Dollars are also widely accepted.
- For the best rates, bring British pounds to exchange into pesos at local banks.
- If using dollars, you may find you pay more for your goods, so we recommend using pesos.
- ATM machines accept international cards and charge a small fee for withdrawals.
- Credit cards can be used in many restaurants and shops and offer you an excellent rate.
Spicy Mexican food is the obvious thing to try but it's possible to find virtually every cuisine in the world at Cancun's eclectic restaurants. We highly recommend venturing out for a meal.
For the most authentic cuisine, small local restaurants guarantee the most genuine, homemade Mexican meals. The most traditional local fare you can get in Cancun is Yucatecan cuisine - a blend of Mexican and European flavours, which are mouth-wateringly tasty.
Fish lovers will be pleased to find an incredible selection of seafood restaurants scattered around the city and, for the highest level of culinary sophistication and variety, we love the three AAA Five Diamond Restaurants in Cancun, two of which are found inside the Ritz Carlton Cancun and the other at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach.
Downtown Cancun, also known as ‘El Centro' is home to many excellent restaurants. Along Avenida Tulum and on Calle Yaxchilan you'll find a line-up of fantastic eateries, which tend to be far cheaper than those in the Cancun Strip and allow you to really soak up the typical Mexican atmosphere. You might even be serenaded by an authentic band of Mariachis.
Cancun is hot and sunny all year round, with temperatures hovering around 25°C throughout all seasons. With minimal climate variation; Cancun holidays are popular throughout the year.
- The most pleasant time to visit is usually between December and April, when temperatures are a little milder and rain infrequent.
- The rainy season occurs between May and October, with May and June seeing peak temperatures and the highest humidity levels.
- The dry season runs from February to early May, with only the odd scattered shower.
- Cancun is located inside the hurricane belt and, although high strength hurricanes are rarely seen here, they are most likely to hit in September and October.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay right beside a protected stretch of beach right in the heart of Playa del Carmen
- There is something to suit everyone's tastes with plenty of restaurants and bars including Maria's offering authentic Mexican fare
- Enjoy endless activities and facilities at the resort including freshwater pools, a rooftop pool and hot tub along with much more
- Gran Porto offers something for everyone with activites suited to adults, kids and teens with Oki Fun World for kids and T-Zone for teens
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to the Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
The new UNICO 20˚87˚ Hotel Riviera Maya resort in Mexico has officially opened to guests. The luxury hotel has 448 guest rooms and suites, with many offering sea views, while ground floor rooms boast semi-private swim-up pools. The property’s facilities include three swimming pools, a wellness centre, a spa, several restaurants and bars, and an 11,600 square foot ballroom.
Hyatt Ziva Cancun has become the first Hyatt property in Mexico to be awarded Green Globe certification. The luxury hotel in Cancun was recognised for its sustainable operations and management, after it formed 11 Sustainability Teams to target Green Globe certification’s four key themes: Sustainable Management; Cultural Heritage; Social Economic and Environment.
The Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort in Mexico has announced a partnership with TerrinArt to create a pop-up art gallery at the luxury property. Featuring six paintings by Peter Terrin, a Belgian artist and Playa del Carmen ex-pat, the gallery will be located in the foyer of the grand ballroom and guests can enjoy the art work throughout June, 2017.