Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Two new beach resorts have opened on Mexico’s Pacific seaboard. The Hacienda adds a new adults-only dimension to the existing Hilton Puerto Vallarta resort, while the new luxury Montage Los Cabos hotel fronts onto one of the Baja California Peninsula’s best swimming and snorkelling beaches.
Riu Hotels has announced that construction has started on a new all-inclusive hotel in Mexico. The Spanish hotel group has started work on the new Riu Palace Costa Mujeres, which will sit next to the recently opened Hotel Riu Dunamar in the Quintana Roo province. The new beachfront resort will have 670 guest rooms, as well as six restaurants and bars, six pools, a spa and a fitness centre.
Melia Hotels International has announced that it will add another hotel to its Mexico collection next year. The Paradisus Playa Mujeres will open to guests in the first quarter of 2019, and will be located just off the coast of Cancun. The luxury oceanfront property will have 498 rooms and suites with views overlooking the beach and tropical gardens.