Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
- Enjoy a Free room upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Tropical View
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable 8-day holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Marriott International is adding another hotel to its Caribbean portfolio, with a new-build hotel in Puerto Cancun in Mexico. The Renaissance Cancun will be built in partnership with Grupo Diestra between the Hotel Zone in Cancun and downtown Cancun, and it will have 180 guest rooms and suites, an 18-hole Tom Weiskopf-golf course, a marina, cinemas, restaurants, shops, and a 270-acre ecological reserve.
Taking sail for the first time ever, the Desire brand of adult, couples-only resorts has launched a cruise line offering the ultimate sensual sailing experience for pleasure-seeking individuals in search of the ultimate erotic getaway. With self-indulgent couples in mind, the cruise takes after Desire Resorts in the Riviera Maya with the concept of all-inclusive hedonistic decadence with clothing-optional areas, private adult playrooms and provocative theme nights.
A new Rosewood resort is planned for the growing Mexico beauty spot of Riviera Nayarit on the country's western coast, not far from Puerto Vallarta. The 130-room Rosewood Mandarina hotel will face onto one of region's white Pacific beaches and is scheduled to open in 2019.