Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
The perfect family holiday in Mexico with plenty of opportunities for fun activities
- Located on the north side of Cancun by Puerto Juarez just 20 minutes by car from the airport
- Enjoy the Mexican, European and American delicious cuisine combined with fabulous atmosphere
- Fun for the whole family with activities for all ages
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Eight days in the exotic and exciting Caribbean await you at the Excellence Playa Mujeres, just twenty-five minutes...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Krysal Ixtapa has a fantastic location on one of the best beaches in Ixtapa's hotel district. Enjoy a stay at this sunny...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with a stay at Oasis Palm on Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
A brand new Mayan Park attraction is scheduled to open to visitors in the Cancun Hotel Zone in early 2018. The park will have replicas of Mayan architecture, as well as fun rides including zip lines, and a boat trip through the stunning Nichupte lagoon. Visitors will learn about traditional Mayan culture, and they will have access to the Mayan Museum of Cancun and the Ruins of Rey.
This month will see the opening of the new Ventus at Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Cancun Riviera Maya in Mexico. Opening under the El Cid Resorts hotel group, the beachfront property will have 290 luxury suites with private balconies, as well as a full-service spa, two infinity pools, a children’s pool, a large fitness centre and multiple restaurants.
As an attempt to preserve the region's natural beauty and contribute to sustainable tourism and scientific research, Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula recently joined the Spanish-American Tourism Caves Association. With over 75 caverns and 2000 rock pools, the region boasts some of the world’s most wondrous nature sites.