Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
The new UNICO 20˚87˚ Hotel Riviera Maya resort in Mexico has officially opened to guests. The luxury hotel has 448 guest rooms and suites, with many offering sea views, while ground floor rooms boast semi-private swim-up pools. The property’s facilities include three swimming pools, a wellness centre, a spa, several restaurants and bars, and an 11,600 square foot ballroom.
Hyatt Ziva Cancun has become the first Hyatt property in Mexico to be awarded Green Globe certification. The luxury hotel in Cancun was recognised for its sustainable operations and management, after it formed 11 Sustainability Teams to target Green Globe certification’s four key themes: Sustainable Management; Cultural Heritage; Social Economic and Environment.
The Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort in Mexico has announced a partnership with TerrinArt to create a pop-up art gallery at the luxury property. Featuring six paintings by Peter Terrin, a Belgian artist and Playa del Carmen ex-pat, the gallery will be located in the foyer of the grand ballroom and guests can enjoy the art work throughout June, 2017.