Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Stay in a great all inclusive resort offering excellent facilities for all ages, and in close proximity to the small beachside town of Playa del Carmen.
- Enjoy an array of activities, including water sports, volley ball, tennis, basketball, golf, kids' activities, live entertainment and more.
- A mere 10 minutes away from the charming town of Playa del Carmen.
- The stylish Polynesian-style bungalows promise a comfortable and enchanting stay.
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
Mexico's Caribbean region continues to expand as a tourist hub with several transformations within some of its most renowned rural resorts. New flights will make Explorean Kohunlich Resort easier to access, Playa Hotels & Resorts is partnering up with Panama Jack to rebrand several properties and the Papaya Playa Project in Tulum welcomes a new Treehouse.
Resort living has many charms and travel writer, Michelle Rae Uy from Travel Pulse recently shared her experience on what she believes is the best Mayan escape in the sunny tourist hub of Cancun. According to the article, NIZUC Resort & Spa stands out among the hundreds of all-inclusive properties in Mexico for its breath-taking setting, exceptional gastronomic venues, first-rate spa treatments and lavish accommodations.
The Chileno Bay Resorts & Residences has opened in Los Cabos in Mexico. The property is managed by Auberge Resorts Collection and has 60 guest rooms and 32 two, three, and four-bedroom villas with terraces and views of the Sea of Cortez. There’s a 450 foot long swimming pool that runs through the resort like a river, and facilities include restaurants, H20 Watersports Activity Cave, a spa, a kids club, and an activity centre with cinemas and a fitness centre.