Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Intimate wine cellar offering international premium brand wine selections
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to the Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free WiFi; it's all there and it's all included
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at The Grand Lifestyle at...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
After the success of 2016 and record-breaking visitor number, Cancun is celebrating further growth this year in its tourism industry. Over the next few months, the coastal region in Mexico will open another five hotels with at least 2,300 guest rooms, renovate several existing hotels and resorts, expand its international airport, and host a number of music and food festivals.
Mexico has become the eighth most popular tourist destination in the world, according to UNWTO. The country recorded 35 million visitors in 2016, which was a nine per cent increase in international arrivals. Mexico is expected to reach the top five rankings soon after the number of visitors since 2012 has increased by 50 per cent. The most popular locations include Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta.
The Temptation Cancun Resort will reopen its doors this autumn, following an extensive renovation programme. Redesigned by Karim Rashid, the adults-only resort in Mexico has 428 guest rooms with balconies or terraces located over the building’s seven floors, plus facilities including eight gourmet restaurants, five bars, a full-service spa, and two swimming pools.