Mexico and Cancun - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- How far is the airport from Cancun?
- How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
- What is the drinking age?
When is the best time to go?
If you're visiting Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula, the best time of year to travel is between November and March, when the climate is not overly humid and the temperatures are a little cooler. Mid-August to mid-October is the rainy season, and you can expect showers most afternoons during this period. Mexico also experiences its hurricane season from around June to November.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens and EU citizens don't need a visa to enter Mexico, but you do need to get a tourist card. You will be given this on arrival once you've filled out your immigration form, which will be given to you on-board during your flight or at border crossings. The tourist card will be valid for up to 180 days and you will need this card when you leave the country, so make sure you keep it in a safe place. Otherwise, if you lose it, you still will be able to replace it but at a cost of $295 Mexican Pesos (around £14).
How can I get there?
There are several airlines that offer direct flights from various UK airports to Cancun. You can depart from London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and the East Midlands, as well as several other airports around the country. Carriers providing regular schedule flights to Cancun include British Airways and Virgin Atlantic while Thomson Flights and Thomas Cook operate charter services between Cancun and the UK, with flights departing regularly throughout the week. The average flight time is between eight and nine hours.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are easy to exchange should you wish to take foreign currency with you. Sterling, Euros and Canadian dollars can also be changed at most banks. Major credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout the country, particularly in the main tourist destinations like Cancun. It is also easy to find ATMs that accept foreign cards in Mexico's main cities and most popular tourism spots.
What is there to see and do?
There is a lot to see and do in Mexico, particularly around Cancun and in the rest of the Yucatan Peninsula. This destination on Mexico's coast is renowned for its stunning beaches, unspoilt rainforest and fascinating historical attractions. Some of the country's most famous Mayan ruins are here - including the UNESCO-listed Chichen Itza and lesser known sites such as Tulum and Ek Balam. Tours from Cancun can easily be arranged to visit one or more of these spectacular landmarks. Active holidaymakers will love Cancun, as there are so many sports to try. There are several world-class golf courses in the city, while in the rainforest you can go hiking, horseback riding or go on a canopy zipline tour through the trees. Mexico's coast is a haven for snorkellers and scuba divers, with Cancun even boasting its own underwater sculpture park. Kayaking and sailing are two of the other water sports on offer in this part of the country. Just off the coast of Cancun there are some beautiful island
How far is the airport from Cancun?
The airport is 7.5 miles from downtown Cancun and 12.5 miles from the heart of the hotel zone. The drive takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on which hotel you're staying in.
How much is a taxi to go to other hotels in the hotel zone?
The cost of a taxi between hotels in the hotel zone varies between 50 and 80 pesos per journey (which is the equivalent of approximately £2 to £4).
What is the drinking age?
The drinking age in Mexico is 18 years, with all people wishing to buy or consume alcohol expected to provide proof of age.
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heartbeat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more!
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Garden Swim Out
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Junior Suite Pool View
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
No matter if you're returning or if it's your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Mexico and Cancun
Mexico and Cancun NewsBrowse all Mexico and Cancun News
NIZUC Resort & Spa in Mexico is celebrating receiving its first AAA Five Diamond rating. The luxury hotel in Cancun was once a base station for Mayan astronomers, and it has 274 guest rooms, six restaurants, three bars, swimming pools, kids' clubs, tennis courts, modern fitness centre, a conference centre, and a lavish 30,000-square-foot spa facility.
The new Haven Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa is currently in the process of adding the last finishing touches before it opens to the world next 5th October 2018. Gearing up to the grand opening, we take a look at what the new resort will bring to the Mexican Caribbean thanks to a newly released promotional video.
The province of Quintana Roo in Mexico is now home to more than 100,000 hotel rooms. The state has the largest tourism infrastructure in the country, with the majority of hotels in the tourist destinations of Cancun and the Riviera Maya. According to the Director of the Tourism Promotion Council of Quintana Roo another 3,000 hotel rooms are expected to be added to the region by next year.