Dominican Republic - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do I need to pay a departure tax?
- What language is spoken locally?
- Is it safe to drink the tap water?
When is the best time to go?
The Dominican Republic has a tropical climate with little temperature variation (typically between 25 and 27 degrees Celsius in the summer) except in the central mountains which is susceptible to more weather changes. In the winter months, temperatures can drop down to between 19 and 23 degrees Celsius. However, the humidity can be high, which will make it feel much hotter. The most popular times to travel are between December and February or July and August, with the rainy season falling from May to October. Be aware that the north coast can experience rain into December. The hurricane season is from June to November, although the highest risk of storms is during August and September.
Do you need a visa?
You will need to obtain a tourist card to enter the Dominican Republic. You can purchase this online from the Dominican Republic Embassy, or pay US$10 (or the equivalent) on arrival to the country and obtain the visa at the airport. These are valid for 30 days, but you can pay to extend them.
How can I get there?
There are direct flights to the Dominican Republic from various cities in the UK such as London, Manchester and Glasgow, with airlines including British Airways, Thomas Cook and Thomson, all offering direct services. The journey takes around eight hours and 45 minutes from London, although some flights will stop in Antigua en route to the Dominican Republic. There are six international airports in the Dominican Republic, with most flights landing in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the Dominican peso, although it is easy to exchange U.S. dollars and travellers' cheques - only use banks or official exchange offices if you need to change money. Most credit and debit cards will work in the country's ATMs.
What is there to see and do?
The glorious white-sand beaches in the Dominican Republic are what draw many travellers to the destination, but the country has much more to offer than just its coastline - spectacular though that is. In the interior of the island you'll discover mountains, jungle, valleys and waterfalls, with hiking, horseback riding, mountain climbing and rafting among the activities you can have a go at. Lago Enriquillo, the largest lake in the Caribbean, is worth a visit - keep an eye out for its flamingos, crocodiles and iguanas. On the coast, scuba diving and snorkelling are popular, with the La Caleta National Park being one of the most popular places to discover the underwater world. Kite surfing, windsurfing and sailing are a few of the other water-based activities you can get up to in the Dominican Republic. Golf is also a popular pastime on the island, as there are many world-class courses here, including some designed by the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Robert Trent Jones Sr and Tom Fazio. If yo
Do I need to pay a departure tax?
There is a US$20 departure tax when you leave the Dominican Republic. If you are flying with British Airways, this cost is included in the price of the ticket; otherwise you pay this at the airport.
What language is spoken locally?
Spanish is the official language in the Dominican Republic, although English is widely spoken in tourist areas.
Is it safe to drink the tap water?
It is not recommended that you drink the tap water - it is best to stick to bottled water.
Dominican Republic Holidays Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Make the most of a long list of exclusive Preferred Club Privileges and lounge on a sugary white sand beach fringed by swaying palms.
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Guests enjoy all the privileges of Unlimited-Luxury from the finely-appointed rooms to limitless gourmet dining
- Take advantage of the dine-around option at the hotel's sister property, Now Larimar Punta Cana
- A free-form pool winds its way through the perfectly manicured gardens and lush vegetation providing the opportunity to sit back and enjoy the stunning surroundings
Stay at this luxury all suite resort and indulge yourself with gourmet dining and 24 hour all inclusive service while being only steps from a powdery Caribbean beach
- Relax and rejuvenate at The Miile Spa which offers a range of treatments and great views over the Dominican mountains
- Choose from 8 delectable restaurants and 10 sophisticated bars with unlimited premium drinks
- A wide range of daily activities and nightly entertainment shows provide great entertainment and ensures there is something for everyone
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Up to 2 kids go FREE in a Deluxe family room between 3rd Jan 17 - 22nd Dec 17, Book By 28th Feb 17
- Stay between 15 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017 and get 50% off a Rock Royalty Level Room
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Enjoy various fantastic events coming up at the hotel including Justin Bieber on 17th April & Sting in concert on 13th May
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
Soak up the sun in beautiful Bavaro Beach where your hotel enjoys a privileged location with plenty of seaside beauty and sophistication.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service at this all Suite Resort with a FREE round of golf included
- This spectacular Greco-Roman style resort enjoys a beautiful beach in Punta Cana, lapped by the Caribbean's turquoise waters.
- Try a round of golf, swim in one of the three pools, take advantage of the complete gym, enjoy the watersports and land sports available
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Venture to the dreamy east coast of the Dominican Republic for eight days of unlimited sun and sand. Punta Cana, the...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Spend seven glorious days soaking up the sun and laying back at the beautiful scenery that surrounds the all-inclusive...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic NewsBrowse all Dominican Republic News
The Dominican Ministry of Tourism has announced it will improve a number of beaches across the country over the next two-and-a-half years. ACCIONA Infrastructure will carry out the work as part of the project that will cost USD $64 million and will see 13 beaches upgraded in seven towns, including Cabeza de Toro, Macao and Arena Gorda-Cortecito beaches in Punta Cana.
Global popstar Justin Bieber will be performing at a concert in the Caribbean this year as part of his Purpose World Tour. On 15th April, 2017, the young platinum-winning singer will kick off his worldwide music tour with a performance at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, where guests can enjoy an all-inclusive stay for the event.
The new Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana resort, situated on the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic, has officially opened its doors. The 452-room super resort faces onto the beaches of the Caribbean country’s Coconut Coast and features more than 20 on-site bars and restaurants.