Duration: Full Day
A holiday in Cuba wouldn’t be complete without exploring the exciting coastal city of Havana, the vibrant capital of the island and one of the most famous capitals in the world. Although some visitors may agree that the city has seen better days, there are many hidden wonders to discover, particularly in Old Havana. Stroll through the streets and watch this historic city open up before you, and then experience the thriving Cuban nightlife as you dance the night away under the stars. This full day and evening excursion is a wonderful way to get a glimpse of Havana’s rich culture and architectural heritage in a short amount of time.
Founded by the Spanish in 1515, Old Havana is steeped in history and was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site (in 1982). In 1762 the British Army conquered Havana, but Cuba was later given back to the Spanish in exchange for Florida. After regaining the city, Havana was transformed into the most heavily fortified city in the Americas in order to protect the main Spanish trading port in the New World.
The colonial architecture in Old Havana is beautiful, influenced by a diverse range of Moorish, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Roman styles and cultures. Many of the preserved buildings date back to the 16th and 17th centuries but you will also see beautiful baroque architecture such as the 18th century Cathedral of Havana and the Captains Generals Palace, which now houses the Museum of the City (Museo de la Ciudad).
The charming cobbled streets host an open-air museum, displaying a wealth of historical treasures such as the Plaza de Armas, the city's oldest square; the Catedral de San Cristóbal de La Havana (Cathedral of Saint Christopher of Havana), and the 19th century Great Theatre of Havana. Havana is one of Latin America’s best-preserved colonial cities.
Explore and experience Havana’s true flavor and magical allure, visit all the sites, the quaintest places and satisfy your thirst of knowledge of the city with the quidance of our experienced representatives. Your guide will show you the city landmarks – both ancient and modern – and teach you about the history and ways of life of the Cuban people. Follow in the footsteps of Ernest Hemingway, the famous American novelist who spent much of his time in Cuba.
You can also spend the afternoon shopping at one of the markets, where you can browse for gifts and souvenirs and many other items. Visit some of the ferias and find folkloric beauties in the form of local arts and crafts, ceramics, clothing and paintings that reflect the city´s unique blend of tropical eclecticism.
As the day draws to an end, your adventure continues with a night at the legendary Tropicana, Cuba’s premier Las Vegas–style nightclub, for an unforgettable evening of cocktails, singing, music and dancing under the stars. A dazzling display of lights, bright costumes and dancing, accompanied by the best of Cuban music, will get you up on your feet and swaying to the infectious rhythms of the conga. The Cubans certainly know how to party!
Your holiday in Cuba would not be complete without witnessing the magic of this unforgettable cabaret show. This is an idyllic excursion for all those that want to cram the best of Havana sights and nightlife in a single day tour whilst still having the excitement of being able to see it all!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.