Duration: 4 Hours
A holiday in Cuba conjures up vivid images of beautiful palm-fringed beaches, American vintage cars, big fat cigars and salsa dancing until the sun goes down. But this is just a taste of what this fantastic Caribbean island has to offer. Add colourful scenery, great food, impressive colonial architecture and a proud cultural heritage, and you will start to envisage the real Cuba in all its glory.
This fascinating four-hour tour will teach you about one of Cuba’s main industries – sugar. Visit a traditional sugar mill factory, stroll through the sugar cane plantations and sample the island’s famous Guarapo juice whilst learning all about the historic city of Cardenas, one of Cuba’s main sugar-exporting towns. This memorable excursion combines natural beauty and history with discovery and adventure.
Your tour will start by visiting the Jose Smith Comas sugar mill factory in the central province of Matanzas. Stroll through the cane fields and see a demonstration of the sugar cane cutting process, which is done by hand by local workers using machetes. Cuba was the largest producer of sugar in the world during the 1800s. Your experienced tour guide will teach you all about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. You will also be able to sample Guarapo juice, a traditional juice made from sugar cane, and see the mill’s old collection of steam locos.
From here you can enjoy one of the highlights of the tour as you climb aboard a 20th century steam train for a memorable journey across Cuba’s scenic countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana trees, orange groves and lush green hills, towards the small picturesque city of Cardenas, located approximately 20km from Varadero. Founded in 1828, this seemingly timeless town holds significant historical value. As well as holding a long railway tradition, it was one of the main sugar-exporting towns in Cuba during the 20th century.
Cardenas is also known as "Ciudad Bandera" (Flag City). Visit the historic area where the Cuban national flag was raised for the first time in 1850 on top of the La Dominica Hotel. You will also see the famous Columbus statue, erected in 1826, which is believed to be the oldest statue of this famous explorer in all of the Americas. Opposite this monument lies the beautiful Catedral de la Concepción Inmaculada, famous for its unique stained glass. Wander around the narrow streets and observe the beautiful colonial architecture as horse-drawn carriages and bicycles pass you by. This tour is a wonderful way to experience the “real” Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
If you are looking for a quiet city, sea fronted location, with the possibility of combining a relaxing holiday with...
Managing to combine the charming atmosphere of a traditional hacienda with the modern amenities of an All-Inclusive,...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.