Duration: 4 Hours
A holiday in Cuba conjures up vivid images of beautiful palm-fringed beaches, American vintage cars, big fat cigars and salsa dancing until the sun goes down. But this is just a taste of what this fantastic Caribbean island has to offer. Add colourful scenery, great food, impressive colonial architecture and a proud cultural heritage, and you will start to envisage the real Cuba in all its glory.
This fascinating four-hour tour will teach you about one of Cuba’s main industries – sugar. Visit a traditional sugar mill factory, stroll through the sugar cane plantations and sample the island’s famous Guarapo juice whilst learning all about the historic city of Cardenas, one of Cuba’s main sugar-exporting towns. This memorable excursion combines natural beauty and history with discovery and adventure.
Your tour will start by visiting the Jose Smith Comas sugar mill factory in the central province of Matanzas. Stroll through the cane fields and see a demonstration of the sugar cane cutting process, which is done by hand by local workers using machetes. Cuba was the largest producer of sugar in the world during the 1800s. Your experienced tour guide will teach you all about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. You will also be able to sample Guarapo juice, a traditional juice made from sugar cane, and see the mill’s old collection of steam locos.
From here you can enjoy one of the highlights of the tour as you climb aboard a 20th century steam train for a memorable journey across Cuba’s scenic countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana trees, orange groves and lush green hills, towards the small picturesque city of Cardenas, located approximately 20km from Varadero. Founded in 1828, this seemingly timeless town holds significant historical value. As well as holding a long railway tradition, it was one of the main sugar-exporting towns in Cuba during the 20th century.
Cardenas is also known as "Ciudad Bandera" (Flag City). Visit the historic area where the Cuban national flag was raised for the first time in 1850 on top of the La Dominica Hotel. You will also see the famous Columbus statue, erected in 1826, which is believed to be the oldest statue of this famous explorer in all of the Americas. Opposite this monument lies the beautiful Catedral de la Concepción Inmaculada, famous for its unique stained glass. Wander around the narrow streets and observe the beautiful colonial architecture as horse-drawn carriages and bicycles pass you by. This tour is a wonderful way to experience the “real” Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Explore two different sides of Cuba with excellent range of facilities and entertainments
- Perfect beach setting surrounded by tropical gardens; creating an intimate, romantic ambience in Varadero
- Enjoy a wide variety of activities ranging from scuba diving lessons to dance classes and more at at the 24hr all inclusive Breezes Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.