Duration: 4 Hours
A holiday in Cuba conjures up vivid images of beautiful palm-fringed beaches, American vintage cars, big fat cigars and salsa dancing until the sun goes down. But this is just a taste of what this fantastic Caribbean island has to offer. Add colourful scenery, great food, impressive colonial architecture and a proud cultural heritage, and you will start to envisage the real Cuba in all its glory.
This fascinating four-hour tour will teach you about one of Cuba’s main industries – sugar. Visit a traditional sugar mill factory, stroll through the sugar cane plantations and sample the island’s famous Guarapo juice whilst learning all about the historic city of Cardenas, one of Cuba’s main sugar-exporting towns. This memorable excursion combines natural beauty and history with discovery and adventure.
Your tour will start by visiting the Jose Smith Comas sugar mill factory in the central province of Matanzas. Stroll through the cane fields and see a demonstration of the sugar cane cutting process, which is done by hand by local workers using machetes. Cuba was the largest producer of sugar in the world during the 1800s. Your experienced tour guide will teach you all about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. You will also be able to sample Guarapo juice, a traditional juice made from sugar cane, and see the mill’s old collection of steam locos.
From here you can enjoy one of the highlights of the tour as you climb aboard a 20th century steam train for a memorable journey across Cuba’s scenic countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana trees, orange groves and lush green hills, towards the small picturesque city of Cardenas, located approximately 20km from Varadero. Founded in 1828, this seemingly timeless town holds significant historical value. As well as holding a long railway tradition, it was one of the main sugar-exporting towns in Cuba during the 20th century.
Cardenas is also known as "Ciudad Bandera" (Flag City). Visit the historic area where the Cuban national flag was raised for the first time in 1850 on top of the La Dominica Hotel. You will also see the famous Columbus statue, erected in 1826, which is believed to be the oldest statue of this famous explorer in all of the Americas. Opposite this monument lies the beautiful Catedral de la Concepción Inmaculada, famous for its unique stained glass. Wander around the narrow streets and observe the beautiful colonial architecture as horse-drawn carriages and bicycles pass you by. This tour is a wonderful way to experience the “real” Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Enjoy a holiday to Cuba and discover the historical city of Havana, as well as the stunning beach scenery of Varadero....
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.