Duration: 4 Hours
A holiday in Cuba conjures up vivid images of beautiful palm-fringed beaches, American vintage cars, big fat cigars and salsa dancing until the sun goes down. But this is just a taste of what this fantastic Caribbean island has to offer. Add colourful scenery, great food, impressive colonial architecture and a proud cultural heritage, and you will start to envisage the real Cuba in all its glory.
This fascinating four-hour tour will teach you about one of Cuba’s main industries – sugar. Visit a traditional sugar mill factory, stroll through the sugar cane plantations and sample the island’s famous Guarapo juice whilst learning all about the historic city of Cardenas, one of Cuba’s main sugar-exporting towns. This memorable excursion combines natural beauty and history with discovery and adventure.
Your tour will start by visiting the Jose Smith Comas sugar mill factory in the central province of Matanzas. Stroll through the cane fields and see a demonstration of the sugar cane cutting process, which is done by hand by local workers using machetes. Cuba was the largest producer of sugar in the world during the 1800s. Your experienced tour guide will teach you all about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. You will also be able to sample Guarapo juice, a traditional juice made from sugar cane, and see the mill’s old collection of steam locos.
From here you can enjoy one of the highlights of the tour as you climb aboard a 20th century steam train for a memorable journey across Cuba’s scenic countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana trees, orange groves and lush green hills, towards the small picturesque city of Cardenas, located approximately 20km from Varadero. Founded in 1828, this seemingly timeless town holds significant historical value. As well as holding a long railway tradition, it was one of the main sugar-exporting towns in Cuba during the 20th century.
Cardenas is also known as "Ciudad Bandera" (Flag City). Visit the historic area where the Cuban national flag was raised for the first time in 1850 on top of the La Dominica Hotel. You will also see the famous Columbus statue, erected in 1826, which is believed to be the oldest statue of this famous explorer in all of the Americas. Opposite this monument lies the beautiful Catedral de la Concepción Inmaculada, famous for its unique stained glass. Wander around the narrow streets and observe the beautiful colonial architecture as horse-drawn carriages and bicycles pass you by. This tour is a wonderful way to experience the “real” Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Surround yourself with the rich culture and history, glorious beach scenery and magnificent architecture of Cuba during your summer holiday
Combine a moving city escape to Havana with a Caribbean beach retreat to Varadero beach and explore Cuban charisma during summer 2017
- Take advantage of a complimentary shuttle service to the iconic capital of Havana
- Offers a range of luxurious, family-friendly amenities
- Situated on the stunning Varadero beach
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel
- Enjoy a free upgrade to the ocean view at Melia Habana
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.