The Old Man and the City
Duration: Full Day
For an amazing mix of history and literature this is a tour that will cultivate your knowledge of Havana and its peculiar connection to the life of the Nobel Prize winner and legendary American writer: Ernest Hemingway.
You will begin this tour by visiting Havana's most popular and historical sites. Explore the oldest part of the city and see the contrast of the old and the new city, walk through cobbled Stone Streets in Old Havana and view landmark sites such as the magnificent building of El Capitolio also known as The National Capitol Building, a bigger and more sumptuous replica of the one in Washington DC. This exquisite building, once the seat of the Cuban Parliament and Senate, is now home to the Cuban Academy of Sciences and the host of many cultural and artistic events.
Your stroll around Havana will also include, passing by the many museums and art galleries and viewing the most interesting places of Old Havana from the main panoramic spots. Enjoy your city tour whilst walking around the main squares of the historical centre and explore and conquer its old and romantic colonial allure… All of this in the company of a highly professional English speaking tour guide.
The other half of your day will be dedicated to discover the most remarkable places in Havana where Hemingway left his mark. The enigmatic American writer fell in love with this city and moved here with his third wife in 1940 where he lived until 1960, the year he was taken back to the US for a mental treatment, and shortly after, committed suicide on July 2nd 1961. Reason to keep his house so well preserved and intact, just exactly the way he left it.
For this part of the tour you'll be taken to see Hemingway's favourite haunts which has now become famous Cuban tourist Mecca’s. Visit the main places he used to frequent, from the fishermen village of Cojimar(the place that became the setting of his Nobel Winning book "The Old Man and the sea"), to El Floridita the cradle of Daiquiri.
Get up-close and personal to the life and work of this controversial personality and get submerged into his world of tropical retreat. Cuba was the inspirational background to a lot of his work and here you will find physical presence of such literary masterpieces, like the fishing boat "El Pilar" from the novel "The Old Man and the Sea"
To finish it all off we have found the perfect way to end your day with a succulent sea food lunch at one of Hemingway's favourite spots, the best atmosphere bar-restaurant in Havana during the 50s, "El Floridita".
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at the delightful Comodoro Bungalows by the sea in Havana followed by the Starfish Varadero in picturesque Varadero.
- The perfect contrasting break - timeless Old Havana and ultimate relaxation in Varadero
- Stay by the sea in Havana and then at an idyllic beachfront location on a streach of virgin beach in Varadero
- All inclusive at starfish varadero features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Combine a vibrant discovery of the capital of Havana, with a stunning nature retreat to the UNESCO world heritage...
Are you looking for an authentic Cuban adventure that not only showcases the rich culture and history but that also...
A perfect hideaway in the heart of the Vedado district, the Residencia offers smart and comfortable rooms and a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Three beautiful sandy stretches in the Caribbean have been named in TripAdvisor’s annual list of the world’s best beaches as part of the 2017 Travellers' Choice Awards. Playa Paraiso in Cuba, Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, and Eagle Beach in Aruba were all listed among the top five beaches, with Brazil’s remote Baia do Sancho beach scooping the top spot.
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.