The Old Man and the City
Duration: Full Day
For an amazing mix of history and literature this is a tour that will cultivate your knowledge of Havana and its peculiar connection to the life of the Nobel Prize winner and legendary American writer: Ernest Hemingway.
You will begin this tour by visiting Havana's most popular and historical sites. Explore the oldest part of the city and see the contrast of the old and the new city, walk through cobbled Stone Streets in Old Havana and view landmark sites such as the magnificent building of El Capitolio also known as The National Capitol Building, a bigger and more sumptuous replica of the one in Washington DC. This exquisite building, once the seat of the Cuban Parliament and Senate, is now home to the Cuban Academy of Sciences and the host of many cultural and artistic events.
Your stroll around Havana will also include, passing by the many museums and art galleries and viewing the most interesting places of Old Havana from the main panoramic spots. Enjoy your city tour whilst walking around the main squares of the historical centre and explore and conquer its old and romantic colonial allure… All of this in the company of a highly professional English speaking tour guide.
The other half of your day will be dedicated to discover the most remarkable places in Havana where Hemingway left his mark. The enigmatic American writer fell in love with this city and moved here with his third wife in 1940 where he lived until 1960, the year he was taken back to the US for a mental treatment, and shortly after, committed suicide on July 2nd 1961. Reason to keep his house so well preserved and intact, just exactly the way he left it.
For this part of the tour you'll be taken to see Hemingway's favourite haunts which has now become famous Cuban tourist Mecca’s. Visit the main places he used to frequent, from the fishermen village of Cojimar(the place that became the setting of his Nobel Winning book "The Old Man and the sea"), to El Floridita the cradle of Daiquiri.
Get up-close and personal to the life and work of this controversial personality and get submerged into his world of tropical retreat. Cuba was the inspirational background to a lot of his work and here you will find physical presence of such literary masterpieces, like the fishing boat "El Pilar" from the novel "The Old Man and the Sea"
To finish it all off we have found the perfect way to end your day with a succulent sea food lunch at one of Hemingway's favourite spots, the best atmosphere bar-restaurant in Havana during the 50s, "El Floridita".
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Explore two different sides of Cuba with excellent range of facilities and entertainments
- Perfect beach setting surrounded by tropical gardens; creating an intimate, romantic ambience in Varadero
- Enjoy a wide variety of activities including dance classes and more at at the 24hr all inclusive Los Cactus
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Stay at the delightful Comodoro Bungalows by the sea in Havana followed by the Starfish Varadero in picturesque Varadero.
- The perfect contrasting break - timeless Old Havana and ultimate relaxation in Varadero
- Stay by the sea in Havana and then at an idyllic beachfront location on a streach of virgin beach in Varadero
- All inclusive at starfish varadero features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.