The Old Man and the City
Duration: Full Day
For an amazing mix of history and literature this is a tour that will cultivate your knowledge of Havana and its peculiar connection to the life of the Nobel Prize winner and legendary American writer: Ernest Hemingway.
You will begin this tour by visiting Havana's most popular and historical sites. Explore the oldest part of the city and see the contrast of the old and the new city, walk through cobbled Stone Streets in Old Havana and view landmark sites such as the magnificent building of El Capitolio also known as The National Capitol Building, a bigger and more sumptuous replica of the one in Washington DC. This exquisite building, once the seat of the Cuban Parliament and Senate, is now home to the Cuban Academy of Sciences and the host of many cultural and artistic events.
Your stroll around Havana will also include, passing by the many museums and art galleries and viewing the most interesting places of Old Havana from the main panoramic spots. Enjoy your city tour whilst walking around the main squares of the historical centre and explore and conquer its old and romantic colonial allure… All of this in the company of a highly professional English speaking tour guide.
The other half of your day will be dedicated to discover the most remarkable places in Havana where Hemingway left his mark. The enigmatic American writer fell in love with this city and moved here with his third wife in 1940 where he lived until 1960, the year he was taken back to the US for a mental treatment, and shortly after, committed suicide on July 2nd 1961. Reason to keep his house so well preserved and intact, just exactly the way he left it.
For this part of the tour you'll be taken to see Hemingway's favourite haunts which has now become famous Cuban tourist Mecca’s. Visit the main places he used to frequent, from the fishermen village of Cojimar(the place that became the setting of his Nobel Winning book "The Old Man and the sea"), to El Floridita the cradle of Daiquiri.
Get up-close and personal to the life and work of this controversial personality and get submerged into his world of tropical retreat. Cuba was the inspirational background to a lot of his work and here you will find physical presence of such literary masterpieces, like the fishing boat "El Pilar" from the novel "The Old Man and the Sea"
To finish it all off we have found the perfect way to end your day with a succulent sea food lunch at one of Hemingway's favourite spots, the best atmosphere bar-restaurant in Havana during the 50s, "El Floridita".
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Combine the vibrancy of charming Havana with a relaxing beach escape at a 24-hour All Inclusive resort in Varadero
- An excellent selection of restaurants and bars in Varadero including 3 a La Carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars
- Make the most of Havana with a private beach and the sea adjacent to the property and Old Havana nearby
- Never waste a minute in Varadero with everything from watersports to Spanish lessons to salsa and more
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.