Sugar Mill Tour - Trip to Cuba's Heart
Duration: Half Day
If you are staying on the beautiful island of Cayo Coco during your holiday in Cuba, there are many wonderful day trips to choose from on the mainland. This tour will give you the chance to explore the natural beauty and rural treasures of the Caribbean countryside. Enjoy an exhilarating speed boat ride through the mangrove swamps before visiting a crocodile farm and an ancient sugar mill, where you can take a steam train ride through the sugarcane fields. This diverse and colourful tour is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of the ‘real’ Cuba.
Travelling into the heart of Cuba’s countryside, your adventure will begin with a half-hour speed boat ride through the mangrove channels of La Redonda Lake. Enjoy the adrenaline rush as you fly through the lagoon, whilst your local guide points out the native flora and fauna in this important ecosystem.
You will then travel onwards to visit a disused sugar mill, now a historic and cultural complex. Cuba was once the world’s largest producer and exporter of sugar during the 1800s. This guided tour will teach you about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. Afterwards, enjoy a memorable steam train ride through the sugar cane fields and across Cuba’s beautiful countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana plantations and lush green hills.
A crocodile breeding farm is the next stop. Watch these dangerous reptiles being fed, and you may even get the chance to hold a baby crocodile if you’re brave enough.
We then move onwards to Morón City, which lies on the north coast of the province of Ciego de Avila. Founded in the 16th century, the colonial centre of the town is well preserved, despite being slightly tatty. Morón is famously known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo) because of its monumental bronze sculpture of the “Rooster of Morón”. This is a famous symbol of the town, based on a legend dating back to Spanish colonial times. Erected at the bottom of the clock tower, the mechanical cockerel reputedly crows twice daily at 6am and 6pm.
Spend time shopping for souvenirs, take a horse and carriage ride around the town or visit a local school where you will be welcomed by the friendly local children. A visit to Morón is a great way to learn about the history and culture of the Cuban people. Your tour also includes a delicious Cuban lunch in a local restaurant.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Three beautiful sandy stretches in the Caribbean have been named in TripAdvisor’s annual list of the world’s best beaches as part of the 2017 Travellers' Choice Awards. Playa Paraiso in Cuba, Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, and Eagle Beach in Aruba were all listed among the top five beaches, with Brazil’s remote Baia do Sancho beach scooping the top spot.
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.