Sugar Mill Tour - Trip to Cuba's Heart
Duration: Half Day
If you are staying on the beautiful island of Cayo Coco during your holiday in Cuba, there are many wonderful day trips to choose from on the mainland. This tour will give you the chance to explore the natural beauty and rural treasures of the Caribbean countryside. Enjoy an exhilarating speed boat ride through the mangrove swamps before visiting a crocodile farm and an ancient sugar mill, where you can take a steam train ride through the sugarcane fields. This diverse and colourful tour is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of the ‘real’ Cuba.
Travelling into the heart of Cuba’s countryside, your adventure will begin with a half-hour speed boat ride through the mangrove channels of La Redonda Lake. Enjoy the adrenaline rush as you fly through the lagoon, whilst your local guide points out the native flora and fauna in this important ecosystem.
You will then travel onwards to visit a disused sugar mill, now a historic and cultural complex. Cuba was once the world’s largest producer and exporter of sugar during the 1800s. This guided tour will teach you about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. Afterwards, enjoy a memorable steam train ride through the sugar cane fields and across Cuba’s beautiful countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana plantations and lush green hills.
A crocodile breeding farm is the next stop. Watch these dangerous reptiles being fed, and you may even get the chance to hold a baby crocodile if you’re brave enough.
We then move onwards to Morón City, which lies on the north coast of the province of Ciego de Avila. Founded in the 16th century, the colonial centre of the town is well preserved, despite being slightly tatty. Morón is famously known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo) because of its monumental bronze sculpture of the “Rooster of Morón”. This is a famous symbol of the town, based on a legend dating back to Spanish colonial times. Erected at the bottom of the clock tower, the mechanical cockerel reputedly crows twice daily at 6am and 6pm.
Spend time shopping for souvenirs, take a horse and carriage ride around the town or visit a local school where you will be welcomed by the friendly local children. A visit to Morón is a great way to learn about the history and culture of the Cuban people. Your tour also includes a delicious Cuban lunch in a local restaurant.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.