Sugar Mill Tour - Trip to Cuba's Heart
Duration: Half Day
If you are staying on the beautiful island of Cayo Coco during your holiday in Cuba, there are many wonderful day trips to choose from on the mainland. This tour will give you the chance to explore the natural beauty and rural treasures of the Caribbean countryside. Enjoy an exhilarating speed boat ride through the mangrove swamps before visiting a crocodile farm and an ancient sugar mill, where you can take a steam train ride through the sugarcane fields. This diverse and colourful tour is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of the ‘real’ Cuba.
Travelling into the heart of Cuba’s countryside, your adventure will begin with a half-hour speed boat ride through the mangrove channels of La Redonda Lake. Enjoy the adrenaline rush as you fly through the lagoon, whilst your local guide points out the native flora and fauna in this important ecosystem.
You will then travel onwards to visit a disused sugar mill, now a historic and cultural complex. Cuba was once the world’s largest producer and exporter of sugar during the 1800s. This guided tour will teach you about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. Afterwards, enjoy a memorable steam train ride through the sugar cane fields and across Cuba’s beautiful countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana plantations and lush green hills.
A crocodile breeding farm is the next stop. Watch these dangerous reptiles being fed, and you may even get the chance to hold a baby crocodile if you’re brave enough.
We then move onwards to Morón City, which lies on the north coast of the province of Ciego de Avila. Founded in the 16th century, the colonial centre of the town is well preserved, despite being slightly tatty. Morón is famously known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo) because of its monumental bronze sculpture of the “Rooster of Morón”. This is a famous symbol of the town, based on a legend dating back to Spanish colonial times. Erected at the bottom of the clock tower, the mechanical cockerel reputedly crows twice daily at 6am and 6pm.
Spend time shopping for souvenirs, take a horse and carriage ride around the town or visit a local school where you will be welcomed by the friendly local children. A visit to Morón is a great way to learn about the history and culture of the Cuban people. Your tour also includes a delicious Cuban lunch in a local restaurant.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.