Sugar Mill Tour - Trip to Cuba's Heart
Duration: Half Day
If you are staying on the beautiful island of Cayo Coco during your holiday in Cuba, there are many wonderful day trips to choose from on the mainland. This tour will give you the chance to explore the natural beauty and rural treasures of the Caribbean countryside. Enjoy an exhilarating speed boat ride through the mangrove swamps before visiting a crocodile farm and an ancient sugar mill, where you can take a steam train ride through the sugarcane fields. This diverse and colourful tour is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of the ‘real’ Cuba.
Travelling into the heart of Cuba’s countryside, your adventure will begin with a half-hour speed boat ride through the mangrove channels of La Redonda Lake. Enjoy the adrenaline rush as you fly through the lagoon, whilst your local guide points out the native flora and fauna in this important ecosystem.
You will then travel onwards to visit a disused sugar mill, now a historic and cultural complex. Cuba was once the world’s largest producer and exporter of sugar during the 1800s. This guided tour will teach you about the history of one of the country’s most important industries. Afterwards, enjoy a memorable steam train ride through the sugar cane fields and across Cuba’s beautiful countryside, past sugar cane fields, banana plantations and lush green hills.
A crocodile breeding farm is the next stop. Watch these dangerous reptiles being fed, and you may even get the chance to hold a baby crocodile if you’re brave enough.
We then move onwards to Morón City, which lies on the north coast of the province of Ciego de Avila. Founded in the 16th century, the colonial centre of the town is well preserved, despite being slightly tatty. Morón is famously known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo) because of its monumental bronze sculpture of the “Rooster of Morón”. This is a famous symbol of the town, based on a legend dating back to Spanish colonial times. Erected at the bottom of the clock tower, the mechanical cockerel reputedly crows twice daily at 6am and 6pm.
Spend time shopping for souvenirs, take a horse and carriage ride around the town or visit a local school where you will be welcomed by the friendly local children. A visit to Morón is a great way to learn about the history and culture of the Cuban people. Your tour also includes a delicious Cuban lunch in a local restaurant.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Book today and receive a free tour seeing all the iconic sights of Havana
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Vardaero
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at Memories miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at Memories miramar and bella costa
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
- Exclusive Singles offer at Paradisus Princesa Del Mar – No single supplement for Summer 2017 - Limited Availability
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Combine a vibrant discovery of the capital of Havana, with a stunning nature retreat to the UNESCO world heritage...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.