Matanzas City and Bellamar Caves Tour
Duration: Full Day
Matanzas has long been known as Cuba's own Athens, the cradle of deep popular rhythms and birthplace of traditional famous musicians as well as home to some impressive and unique natural beauties, such as the breathtaking Bellamar Caves.
Matanzas is also known as the city of bridges with as many as 17 of them, three of which cross over 3 important rivers. This is why the city popularly got the name of the "Venice of Cuba" whilst the nickname of the "Athens of Cuba" was given due to the city being the birthplace of many famous Cuban poets.
On this excursion you will be taken to explore Matanzas city and enjoy all it has to offer, from its historical museums to its diversity and richness in Afro-Cuban folklore. We invite you to join us in a stroll down its quaint streets with its main squares, local food market and the fantastically well-preserved pharmaceutical museum.
And a visit to Matanzas wouldn't be complete without an excursion to the Bellamar Caves and this is exactly where we'll be taking you as part of your day tour. The Bellamar Caves are considered one of the of the Caribbean's largest and most beautiful underground formations. Two kilometres of underground passages are covered in peculiar stalagmites, stalactites and calcite crystals all of which you will be able to witness as we take you down to the deepest caves in Cuba with some unexplored chambers still being developed.
The Bellamar Caves are famous for the incomparable beauty of its speleothems and our tour includes passing through six halls and seventeen galleries of unsurpassable beauty as you view fountains, stalagmites and stalactites, crystallised domed and other formations such as La Fuente del Amor (The Fountain of Love) and La Galeria Coco Rallado (Grated Coconut Gallery). Once outside this beautiful underground paradise you will have time for refreshments in the nearby cafe-restaurant and shops.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Enjoy a Cuban holiday of a lifetime at two amazing hotels in stunning locations sure to create memories that will last a lifetime
- Call now to upgrade to the Sea View Room at NH Capri with a discount
- The stunning Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel is nestled on the stunning white sands of Cayo Santa Maria, the hotel has all the state-of-the-art facilities you would expect from a top hotel of it's nature
- Stay in the perfect Havana location at NH Capri right at the heart of the city, just footsteps away from the panoramic Malecon seaside promenade
Surround yourself with the rich culture and history, glorious beach scenery and magnificent architecture of Cuba during your summer holiday
Combine a moving city escape to Havana with a Caribbean beach retreat to Varadero beach and explore Cuban charisma during summer 2017
- Take advantage of a complimentary shuttle service to the iconic capital of Havana
- Offers a range of luxurious, family-friendly amenities
- Situated on the stunning Varadero beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over half...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.