Trinidad - Glance to Cuba's Colonial Past
Duration: 2 Days
This two-day tour will introduce you to the charming city of Trinidad during your holiday in Cuba, where you can explore ancient cobbled streets, peaceful plazas and endless museums to gain an insight into the island’s rich colonial past.
Located in the province of Sancti Spíritus in central Cuba, between the Escambray Mountains and Caribbean Sea, Trinidad is considered the “colonial treasure” of the island. Famous for proudly hosting some of the most beautiful historical architecture in Latin America, the city was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988, as was the neighbouring Valley de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). This picturesque region, made up of three valleys San Luis, Santa Rosa and Meyer, was a centre for sugar production from the late 18th century until the late 19th century.
The lush Caribbean countryside is dotted with former sugar mills and slave houses, amidst stately palaces and mansions, taking you back to a bygone era when Trinidad played a key role in the Caribbean slave trade and the sugar trade brought the city great wealth. Enjoy an overnight stay in a mountain lodge, where you can relax and take a refreshing swim in the river, before heading onwards to Trinidad city the following day.
Founded by the Spanish in 1514, Trinidad is one of the best preserved cities in the Caribbean, if not the world. Relatively small and compact, the city can be toured in a few hours by foot, or you could alternatively take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride. Relive history as you explore cobbled stone streets lined with beautifully restored colonial houses, painted in an array of bright pastel colours and adorned with wrought-iron balconies and red tiled roofs.
You will also notice the luxurious palaces and villas of the sugar barons, which stand as testament to the great wealth during this period. In the 18th and 19th centuries the sugar trade was booming and Trinidad reaped the rewards. Economic decline later, however, meant that modern construction was restricted, but this is what makes the town so special today. It’s as if time has stood still.
The old town is dominated by a fusion of Moorish, Neo Classical and Baroque architecture, and this is where you will find some of the city’s most beautiful buildings. The 19th century Iglesia Parroquial de la Santísima Trinidad (Church of the Holy Trinity), the largest church in Cuba, is just one of the highlights of the area. It was rebuilt in 1892 on the site of an earlier church on Plaza Mayor (main square), and is famous for its much-worshipped wooden statue of Christ ‘Senor de la Vera Cruz’ (Lord of the True Cross) and elegant neo-gothic marble altar dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy.
Other tour highlights include the early 19th century Iznaga Tower, a traditional cigar factory and a pottery shop. After all that sightseeing, stop for lunch in a local restaurant and enjoy a refreshing drink in the famous La Canchanchara taverna. As always, Cuba’s historic treasures, natural beauty and welcoming people will captivate you.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
If you are looking for a quiet city, sea fronted location, with the possibility of combining a relaxing holiday with...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.