Trinidad - Glance to Cuba's Colonial Past
Duration: 2 Days
This two-day tour will introduce you to the charming city of Trinidad during your holiday in Cuba, where you can explore ancient cobbled streets, peaceful plazas and endless museums to gain an insight into the island’s rich colonial past.
Located in the province of Sancti Spíritus in central Cuba, between the Escambray Mountains and Caribbean Sea, Trinidad is considered the “colonial treasure” of the island. Famous for proudly hosting some of the most beautiful historical architecture in Latin America, the city was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988, as was the neighbouring Valley de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). This picturesque region, made up of three valleys San Luis, Santa Rosa and Meyer, was a centre for sugar production from the late 18th century until the late 19th century.
The lush Caribbean countryside is dotted with former sugar mills and slave houses, amidst stately palaces and mansions, taking you back to a bygone era when Trinidad played a key role in the Caribbean slave trade and the sugar trade brought the city great wealth. Enjoy an overnight stay in a mountain lodge, where you can relax and take a refreshing swim in the river, before heading onwards to Trinidad city the following day.
Founded by the Spanish in 1514, Trinidad is one of the best preserved cities in the Caribbean, if not the world. Relatively small and compact, the city can be toured in a few hours by foot, or you could alternatively take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride. Relive history as you explore cobbled stone streets lined with beautifully restored colonial houses, painted in an array of bright pastel colours and adorned with wrought-iron balconies and red tiled roofs.
You will also notice the luxurious palaces and villas of the sugar barons, which stand as testament to the great wealth during this period. In the 18th and 19th centuries the sugar trade was booming and Trinidad reaped the rewards. Economic decline later, however, meant that modern construction was restricted, but this is what makes the town so special today. It’s as if time has stood still.
The old town is dominated by a fusion of Moorish, Neo Classical and Baroque architecture, and this is where you will find some of the city’s most beautiful buildings. The 19th century Iglesia Parroquial de la Santísima Trinidad (Church of the Holy Trinity), the largest church in Cuba, is just one of the highlights of the area. It was rebuilt in 1892 on the site of an earlier church on Plaza Mayor (main square), and is famous for its much-worshipped wooden statue of Christ ‘Senor de la Vera Cruz’ (Lord of the True Cross) and elegant neo-gothic marble altar dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy.
Other tour highlights include the early 19th century Iznaga Tower, a traditional cigar factory and a pottery shop. After all that sightseeing, stop for lunch in a local restaurant and enjoy a refreshing drink in the famous La Canchanchara taverna. As always, Cuba’s historic treasures, natural beauty and welcoming people will captivate you.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Combine the vibrancy of charming Havana with a relaxing beach escape at a 24-hour All Inclusive resort in Varadero
- An excellent selection of restaurants and bars in Varadero including 3 a La Carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars
- Make the most of Havana with a private beach and the sea adjacent to the property and Old Havana nearby
- Never waste a minute in Varadero with everything from watersports to Spanish lessons to salsa and more
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
Enjoy a luxurious Cuban twin centre holiday in Vibrant Havana and Relaxing Varadero with a fascinating City tour included
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
The Melia Habana Hotel is located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea. This building has a...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
If you are looking for a quiet city, sea fronted location, with the possibility of combining a relaxing holiday with...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...
Stay at the charming hotel Comodoro for the first few nights of your holiday and enjoy the atmosphere of a modern hotel...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.
Pop superstar Madonna celebrated her 58th birthday with a mini-break in Cuba last week. The singer stayed at the Hotel Saratoga in Havana with a group of friends and family and was photographed having dinner and cocktails at La Guarida restaurant. Taking to the streets of the city with her half-Cuban daughter Lourdes Leon, Madonna shared photos of her trip on Twitter.