Trinidad - Glance to Cuba's Colonial Past
Duration: 2 Days
This two-day tour will introduce you to the charming city of Trinidad during your holiday in Cuba, where you can explore ancient cobbled streets, peaceful plazas and endless museums to gain an insight into the island’s rich colonial past.
Located in the province of Sancti Spíritus in central Cuba, between the Escambray Mountains and Caribbean Sea, Trinidad is considered the “colonial treasure” of the island. Famous for proudly hosting some of the most beautiful historical architecture in Latin America, the city was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988, as was the neighbouring Valley de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). This picturesque region, made up of three valleys San Luis, Santa Rosa and Meyer, was a centre for sugar production from the late 18th century until the late 19th century.
The lush Caribbean countryside is dotted with former sugar mills and slave houses, amidst stately palaces and mansions, taking you back to a bygone era when Trinidad played a key role in the Caribbean slave trade and the sugar trade brought the city great wealth. Enjoy an overnight stay in a mountain lodge, where you can relax and take a refreshing swim in the river, before heading onwards to Trinidad city the following day.
Founded by the Spanish in 1514, Trinidad is one of the best preserved cities in the Caribbean, if not the world. Relatively small and compact, the city can be toured in a few hours by foot, or you could alternatively take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride. Relive history as you explore cobbled stone streets lined with beautifully restored colonial houses, painted in an array of bright pastel colours and adorned with wrought-iron balconies and red tiled roofs.
You will also notice the luxurious palaces and villas of the sugar barons, which stand as testament to the great wealth during this period. In the 18th and 19th centuries the sugar trade was booming and Trinidad reaped the rewards. Economic decline later, however, meant that modern construction was restricted, but this is what makes the town so special today. It’s as if time has stood still.
The old town is dominated by a fusion of Moorish, Neo Classical and Baroque architecture, and this is where you will find some of the city’s most beautiful buildings. The 19th century Iglesia Parroquial de la Santísima Trinidad (Church of the Holy Trinity), the largest church in Cuba, is just one of the highlights of the area. It was rebuilt in 1892 on the site of an earlier church on Plaza Mayor (main square), and is famous for its much-worshipped wooden statue of Christ ‘Senor de la Vera Cruz’ (Lord of the True Cross) and elegant neo-gothic marble altar dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy.
Other tour highlights include the early 19th century Iznaga Tower, a traditional cigar factory and a pottery shop. After all that sightseeing, stop for lunch in a local restaurant and enjoy a refreshing drink in the famous La Canchanchara taverna. As always, Cuba’s historic treasures, natural beauty and welcoming people will captivate you.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Enjoy a Cuban holiday of a lifetime at two amazing hotels in stunning locations sure to create memories that will last a lifetime
- Call now to upgrade to the Sea View Room at NH Capri with a discount
- The stunning Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel is nestled on the stunning white sands of Cayo Santa Maria, the hotel has all the state-of-the-art facilities you would expect from a top hotel of it's nature
- Stay in the perfect Havana location at NH Capri right at the heart of the city, just footsteps away from the panoramic Malecon seaside promenade
Surround yourself with the rich culture and history, glorious beach scenery and magnificent architecture of Cuba during your summer holiday
Combine a moving city escape to Havana with a Caribbean beach retreat to Varadero beach and explore Cuban charisma during summer 2017
- Take advantage of a complimentary shuttle service to the iconic capital of Havana
- Offers a range of luxurious, family-friendly amenities
- Situated on the stunning Varadero beach
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Take your family to Old Havana and to enjoy everything that is unique about this extraordinary city, then head off to Varadero for a fun filled beach holiday
- Parque Central, is in a great location for exploration of the vast number of UNESCO heritage sites in Havana.
- Parque Central is rated #1 Havana hotel by Trip Advisor users.
- The Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero offer families some great facilities including a spacious room layout and amazing childrens club
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over half...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.