Trinidad - Glance to Cuba's Colonial Past
Duration: 2 Days
This two-day tour will introduce you to the charming city of Trinidad during your holiday in Cuba, where you can explore ancient cobbled streets, peaceful plazas and endless museums to gain an insight into the island’s rich colonial past.
Located in the province of Sancti Spíritus in central Cuba, between the Escambray Mountains and Caribbean Sea, Trinidad is considered the “colonial treasure” of the island. Famous for proudly hosting some of the most beautiful historical architecture in Latin America, the city was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988, as was the neighbouring Valley de los Ingenios (Valley of the Sugar Mills). This picturesque region, made up of three valleys San Luis, Santa Rosa and Meyer, was a centre for sugar production from the late 18th century until the late 19th century.
The lush Caribbean countryside is dotted with former sugar mills and slave houses, amidst stately palaces and mansions, taking you back to a bygone era when Trinidad played a key role in the Caribbean slave trade and the sugar trade brought the city great wealth. Enjoy an overnight stay in a mountain lodge, where you can relax and take a refreshing swim in the river, before heading onwards to Trinidad city the following day.
Founded by the Spanish in 1514, Trinidad is one of the best preserved cities in the Caribbean, if not the world. Relatively small and compact, the city can be toured in a few hours by foot, or you could alternatively take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride. Relive history as you explore cobbled stone streets lined with beautifully restored colonial houses, painted in an array of bright pastel colours and adorned with wrought-iron balconies and red tiled roofs.
You will also notice the luxurious palaces and villas of the sugar barons, which stand as testament to the great wealth during this period. In the 18th and 19th centuries the sugar trade was booming and Trinidad reaped the rewards. Economic decline later, however, meant that modern construction was restricted, but this is what makes the town so special today. It’s as if time has stood still.
The old town is dominated by a fusion of Moorish, Neo Classical and Baroque architecture, and this is where you will find some of the city’s most beautiful buildings. The 19th century Iglesia Parroquial de la Santísima Trinidad (Church of the Holy Trinity), the largest church in Cuba, is just one of the highlights of the area. It was rebuilt in 1892 on the site of an earlier church on Plaza Mayor (main square), and is famous for its much-worshipped wooden statue of Christ ‘Senor de la Vera Cruz’ (Lord of the True Cross) and elegant neo-gothic marble altar dedicated to the Virgin of Mercy.
Other tour highlights include the early 19th century Iznaga Tower, a traditional cigar factory and a pottery shop. After all that sightseeing, stop for lunch in a local restaurant and enjoy a refreshing drink in the famous La Canchanchara taverna. As always, Cuba’s historic treasures, natural beauty and welcoming people will captivate you.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Enjoy a holiday to Cuba and discover the historical city of Havana, as well as the stunning beach scenery of Varadero....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.