Colonial Cuba, Trip to Trinidad
Duration: Half Day
The most outstandingly peculiar city in the whole of Cuba, Trinidad is a site that has been declared a World Heritage by UNESCO and in it you will find amazing remainings of a colonial town that has stood firmly against the test of time.
A day here in Trinidad will give holidaymakers a taste of the traditional Cuba back in the days when it still was a Spanish colony…it is one of the few and rare places in Cuba where practically everything has been well preserved and where its colonial allure and architecture has remained in some places virtually untouched.
Departing from Holguin in the morning you will take a 45 minutes flight towards Trinidad, where a day of charming little places and peculiar sights awaits your discovery. The tour will begin with a visit to the outstanding natural park "El Cubano", an attractive place for nature lovers filled with little wonders to amaze young and old. Standing tall at a height of 250 meters above sea level, this park will offer you the pretty walking trail of Cimarrones de Javira, which tells a story of slavery in the context of an old regional family. From here onwards you will enjoy a fabulous trekking experience, stopping at a farmer's house and later ending the journey at the incomparable Salto de Javira; an impressively beautiful waterfall with a beautiful natural pool in which you will enjoy a pleasant swimming experience.
After this unparalleled encounter with nature the tour will take you to visit the city of Trinidad's greatest attractions. The first stop will be at the Romantic Museum, holding the best 19th century collection of fine arts. The museum's 14 exhibition rooms masterfully recreate a Trinidadian colonial house from the years 1830 to 1860 with exquisite furniture and ornamental arts dating back to the 18th and 19th century. Take your time admiring the diversity of jewels, silverware, porcelain, painting, sculptures and other decorative objects that belonged to the Spanish nobility who once made this mansion their home.
Following on from here you will pay a visit to yet another outstanding museum: The Cantero Palace, one of the most famous colonial houses in the continent holding an amazing collection of archaeological remains of the early indigenous people that inhabited the island, as well as exhibiting many of Trinidad and Cuba's most important moments in history. See exhibitions showing the slave trade and boom of the sugar cane industry, learn about the independence wars between Cuba and Spain and discover many important historical moments with the aid of documents and testimonies of Trinidad's history in the form of works of art and archaeology. Some shopping time will follow at a popular and local handicraft market.
Lastly, your journey will be ending with a trip towards the breathtakingly beautiful Valley of the Sugar Mills; displaying the history of Cuba's sugar trade industry and slavery as you admire the unparalleled beauty of the surroundings. Climb the Manaca Iznaga Tower, which land owners used in order to keep watch over runaway slaves. Let the amazing sights take your breath away once atop this tower and enjoy the best views for scenic picture taking of this astounding valley.
Our Trinidad tour perfectly combines the town's most amazing features, an encounter with nature and history with a delicious lunch included at a popular local restaurant. As can be seen, you can certainly compare and we are sure you won't find a better and more complete way to see and explore the culture rich city of Trinidad than with our tour!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Enjoy a Cuban holiday of a lifetime at two amazing hotels in stunning locations sure to create memories that will last a lifetime
- Call now to upgrade to the Sea View Room at NH Capri with a discount
- The stunning Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel is nestled on the stunning white sands of Cayo Santa Maria, the hotel has all the state-of-the-art facilities you would expect from a top hotel of it's nature
- Stay in the perfect Havana location at NH Capri right at the heart of the city, just footsteps away from the panoramic Malecon seaside promenade
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Take your family to Old Havana and to enjoy everything that is unique about this extraordinary city, then head off to Varadero for a fun filled beach holiday
- Parque Central, is in a great location for exploration of the vast number of UNESCO heritage sites in Havana.
- Parque Central is rated #1 Havana hotel by Trip Advisor users.
- The Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero offer families some great facilities including a spacious room layout and amazing childrens club
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over half...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
If you are looking for a quiet city, sea fronted location, with the possibility of combining a relaxing holiday with...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.