The Grand Safari
Duration: Full Day
Want action, history, nature and adventure all rolled into one exciting day of pure escapism? Then we are proud to present you with this specialised tour exclusively prepared to quench a true explorer's thirst in one unique and grand excursion throughout Cuba's Eastern countryside.
You'll be taken across this buoyant panoramic land in a comfortable jeep from where you'll have perfect vision to admire the many great sights that will pass before you.
On this grand excursion you'll begin by visiting Biran, the birth town of Fidel Castro and where you will find many places related to his life and early beginnings. See the charm of this small town where he grew up and took inspiration for the liberation of many peasants and his wish of giving them ownership of the land they worked. Explore the land that Castro's father owned and his 23,000 acre (93 km2) plantation, located right at the foothills of the Nipe Mountains that belong to Sierra de Nipe. It was amidst these mountains that Fidel in his youth loved to lose himself whilst on one of his horseback rides and it was those same mountains that he later missed during his time in prison and exile, where he began preparing his revolution.
After this enlightening tour along Biran, you will continue this exciting excursion by heading towards Pinares de Mayari, an impressive natural spot situated in a privileged location on top of a mountain. Due to the beauty of this natural zone, a research centre was established in 1988 to study the region's mountainous ecology. This place blooms with beautiful wild vegetation and unique fauna in the form of many endemic bird species that are only ever spotted in this blessed forested region. This incredible plateau rests at no less than 600 meters above sea level with spectacular views of the Nipe-Cristal mountain range. A wonderful trail of pine forest covering most of the territory awaits you with its richness of flora and fauna. Also standing tall as Cuba's biggest nickel reserve with rivers, numerous tumbling waterfalls and impetuous rapids, this natural reserve is also the proud owner of Cuba's most amazing cascade. One of the highlights of your day will be admiring Salto del Guayabo, the highest of all waterfalls rising to an altitude of an impressive 278 feet!
During your visit to this wonderful nature park you will also be making a stop for lunch at a local traditional Cuban restaurant, so that you can sample a delicious dish in typical Cuban countryside style!
After the refreshments you will continue towards La Plancha coffee farm and engage in some lively interaction with the farmers as you see the process through which Cuban coffee goes from its first stages in the trees to its later grinding and refinement before it is ultimately packaged. Discover the oldest Cuban traditions in coffee farming and finish your day with a taste of true Cuban flavour.
All in all we can conclude this to be an astounding excursion not to be missed by any nature lover or true explorer at heart! Indulge in the most breathtaking sightseeing in the wildest and most virginal places of Cuban nature!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Combine the vibrancy of charming Havana with a relaxing beach escape at a 24-hour All Inclusive resort in Varadero
- An excellent selection of restaurants and bars in Varadero including 3 a La Carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars
- Make the most of Havana with a private beach and the sea adjacent to the property and Old Havana nearby
- Never waste a minute in Varadero with everything from watersports to Spanish lessons to salsa and more
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.