The Grand Safari
Duration: Full Day
Want action, history, nature and adventure all rolled into one exciting day of pure escapism? Then we are proud to present you with this specialised tour exclusively prepared to quench a true explorer's thirst in one unique and grand excursion throughout Cuba's Eastern countryside.
You'll be taken across this buoyant panoramic land in a comfortable jeep from where you'll have perfect vision to admire the many great sights that will pass before you.
On this grand excursion you'll begin by visiting Biran, the birth town of Fidel Castro and where you will find many places related to his life and early beginnings. See the charm of this small town where he grew up and took inspiration for the liberation of many peasants and his wish of giving them ownership of the land they worked. Explore the land that Castro's father owned and his 23,000 acre (93 km2) plantation, located right at the foothills of the Nipe Mountains that belong to Sierra de Nipe. It was amidst these mountains that Fidel in his youth loved to lose himself whilst on one of his horseback rides and it was those same mountains that he later missed during his time in prison and exile, where he began preparing his revolution.
After this enlightening tour along Biran, you will continue this exciting excursion by heading towards Pinares de Mayari, an impressive natural spot situated in a privileged location on top of a mountain. Due to the beauty of this natural zone, a research centre was established in 1988 to study the region's mountainous ecology. This place blooms with beautiful wild vegetation and unique fauna in the form of many endemic bird species that are only ever spotted in this blessed forested region. This incredible plateau rests at no less than 600 meters above sea level with spectacular views of the Nipe-Cristal mountain range. A wonderful trail of pine forest covering most of the territory awaits you with its richness of flora and fauna. Also standing tall as Cuba's biggest nickel reserve with rivers, numerous tumbling waterfalls and impetuous rapids, this natural reserve is also the proud owner of Cuba's most amazing cascade. One of the highlights of your day will be admiring Salto del Guayabo, the highest of all waterfalls rising to an altitude of an impressive 278 feet!
During your visit to this wonderful nature park you will also be making a stop for lunch at a local traditional Cuban restaurant, so that you can sample a delicious dish in typical Cuban countryside style!
After the refreshments you will continue towards La Plancha coffee farm and engage in some lively interaction with the farmers as you see the process through which Cuban coffee goes from its first stages in the trees to its later grinding and refinement before it is ultimately packaged. Discover the oldest Cuban traditions in coffee farming and finish your day with a taste of true Cuban flavour.
All in all we can conclude this to be an astounding excursion not to be missed by any nature lover or true explorer at heart! Indulge in the most breathtaking sightseeing in the wildest and most virginal places of Cuban nature!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's most iconic and famous resort - Varadero
- Explore both the charming capital of Havana and the relaxed beach resort of Varadero within one holiday
- Enjoy a comfortable stay with all the 5* modern facilities and interiors you would expect
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy an array of water sports in Varadero including; catamaran, snorkelling & windsurfing
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
A perfect hideaway in the heart of the Vedado district, the Residencia offers smart and comfortable rooms and a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.