The Grand Safari
Duration: Full Day
Want action, history, nature and adventure all rolled into one exciting day of pure escapism? Then we are proud to present you with this specialised tour exclusively prepared to quench a true explorer's thirst in one unique and grand excursion throughout Cuba's Eastern countryside.
You'll be taken across this buoyant panoramic land in a comfortable jeep from where you'll have perfect vision to admire the many great sights that will pass before you.
On this grand excursion you'll begin by visiting Biran, the birth town of Fidel Castro and where you will find many places related to his life and early beginnings. See the charm of this small town where he grew up and took inspiration for the liberation of many peasants and his wish of giving them ownership of the land they worked. Explore the land that Castro's father owned and his 23,000 acre (93 km2) plantation, located right at the foothills of the Nipe Mountains that belong to Sierra de Nipe. It was amidst these mountains that Fidel in his youth loved to lose himself whilst on one of his horseback rides and it was those same mountains that he later missed during his time in prison and exile, where he began preparing his revolution.
After this enlightening tour along Biran, you will continue this exciting excursion by heading towards Pinares de Mayari, an impressive natural spot situated in a privileged location on top of a mountain. Due to the beauty of this natural zone, a research centre was established in 1988 to study the region's mountainous ecology. This place blooms with beautiful wild vegetation and unique fauna in the form of many endemic bird species that are only ever spotted in this blessed forested region. This incredible plateau rests at no less than 600 meters above sea level with spectacular views of the Nipe-Cristal mountain range. A wonderful trail of pine forest covering most of the territory awaits you with its richness of flora and fauna. Also standing tall as Cuba's biggest nickel reserve with rivers, numerous tumbling waterfalls and impetuous rapids, this natural reserve is also the proud owner of Cuba's most amazing cascade. One of the highlights of your day will be admiring Salto del Guayabo, the highest of all waterfalls rising to an altitude of an impressive 278 feet!
During your visit to this wonderful nature park you will also be making a stop for lunch at a local traditional Cuban restaurant, so that you can sample a delicious dish in typical Cuban countryside style!
After the refreshments you will continue towards La Plancha coffee farm and engage in some lively interaction with the farmers as you see the process through which Cuban coffee goes from its first stages in the trees to its later grinding and refinement before it is ultimately packaged. Discover the oldest Cuban traditions in coffee farming and finish your day with a taste of true Cuban flavour.
All in all we can conclude this to be an astounding excursion not to be missed by any nature lover or true explorer at heart! Indulge in the most breathtaking sightseeing in the wildest and most virginal places of Cuban nature!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Combine a vibrant discovery of the capital of Havana, with a stunning nature retreat to the UNESCO world heritage...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.