The Grand Safari
Duration: Full Day
Want action, history, nature and adventure all rolled into one exciting day of pure escapism? Then we are proud to present you with this specialised tour exclusively prepared to quench a true explorer's thirst in one unique and grand excursion throughout Cuba's Eastern countryside.
You'll be taken across this buoyant panoramic land in a comfortable jeep from where you'll have perfect vision to admire the many great sights that will pass before you.
On this grand excursion you'll begin by visiting Biran, the birth town of Fidel Castro and where you will find many places related to his life and early beginnings. See the charm of this small town where he grew up and took inspiration for the liberation of many peasants and his wish of giving them ownership of the land they worked. Explore the land that Castro's father owned and his 23,000 acre (93 km2) plantation, located right at the foothills of the Nipe Mountains that belong to Sierra de Nipe. It was amidst these mountains that Fidel in his youth loved to lose himself whilst on one of his horseback rides and it was those same mountains that he later missed during his time in prison and exile, where he began preparing his revolution.
After this enlightening tour along Biran, you will continue this exciting excursion by heading towards Pinares de Mayari, an impressive natural spot situated in a privileged location on top of a mountain. Due to the beauty of this natural zone, a research centre was established in 1988 to study the region's mountainous ecology. This place blooms with beautiful wild vegetation and unique fauna in the form of many endemic bird species that are only ever spotted in this blessed forested region. This incredible plateau rests at no less than 600 meters above sea level with spectacular views of the Nipe-Cristal mountain range. A wonderful trail of pine forest covering most of the territory awaits you with its richness of flora and fauna. Also standing tall as Cuba's biggest nickel reserve with rivers, numerous tumbling waterfalls and impetuous rapids, this natural reserve is also the proud owner of Cuba's most amazing cascade. One of the highlights of your day will be admiring Salto del Guayabo, the highest of all waterfalls rising to an altitude of an impressive 278 feet!
During your visit to this wonderful nature park you will also be making a stop for lunch at a local traditional Cuban restaurant, so that you can sample a delicious dish in typical Cuban countryside style!
After the refreshments you will continue towards La Plancha coffee farm and engage in some lively interaction with the farmers as you see the process through which Cuban coffee goes from its first stages in the trees to its later grinding and refinement before it is ultimately packaged. Discover the oldest Cuban traditions in coffee farming and finish your day with a taste of true Cuban flavour.
All in all we can conclude this to be an astounding excursion not to be missed by any nature lover or true explorer at heart! Indulge in the most breathtaking sightseeing in the wildest and most virginal places of Cuban nature!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Are you searching for a tranquil, yet charismatic retreat from everyday life? Then why not enjoy a twin centre beach...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.