The Grand Safari
Duration: Full Day
Want action, history, nature and adventure all rolled into one exciting day of pure escapism? Then we are proud to present you with this specialised tour exclusively prepared to quench a true explorer's thirst in one unique and grand excursion throughout Cuba's Eastern countryside.
You'll be taken across this buoyant panoramic land in a comfortable jeep from where you'll have perfect vision to admire the many great sights that will pass before you.
On this grand excursion you'll begin by visiting Biran, the birth town of Fidel Castro and where you will find many places related to his life and early beginnings. See the charm of this small town where he grew up and took inspiration for the liberation of many peasants and his wish of giving them ownership of the land they worked. Explore the land that Castro's father owned and his 23,000 acre (93 km2) plantation, located right at the foothills of the Nipe Mountains that belong to Sierra de Nipe. It was amidst these mountains that Fidel in his youth loved to lose himself whilst on one of his horseback rides and it was those same mountains that he later missed during his time in prison and exile, where he began preparing his revolution.
After this enlightening tour along Biran, you will continue this exciting excursion by heading towards Pinares de Mayari, an impressive natural spot situated in a privileged location on top of a mountain. Due to the beauty of this natural zone, a research centre was established in 1988 to study the region's mountainous ecology. This place blooms with beautiful wild vegetation and unique fauna in the form of many endemic bird species that are only ever spotted in this blessed forested region. This incredible plateau rests at no less than 600 meters above sea level with spectacular views of the Nipe-Cristal mountain range. A wonderful trail of pine forest covering most of the territory awaits you with its richness of flora and fauna. Also standing tall as Cuba's biggest nickel reserve with rivers, numerous tumbling waterfalls and impetuous rapids, this natural reserve is also the proud owner of Cuba's most amazing cascade. One of the highlights of your day will be admiring Salto del Guayabo, the highest of all waterfalls rising to an altitude of an impressive 278 feet!
During your visit to this wonderful nature park you will also be making a stop for lunch at a local traditional Cuban restaurant, so that you can sample a delicious dish in typical Cuban countryside style!
After the refreshments you will continue towards La Plancha coffee farm and engage in some lively interaction with the farmers as you see the process through which Cuban coffee goes from its first stages in the trees to its later grinding and refinement before it is ultimately packaged. Discover the oldest Cuban traditions in coffee farming and finish your day with a taste of true Cuban flavour.
All in all we can conclude this to be an astounding excursion not to be missed by any nature lover or true explorer at heart! Indulge in the most breathtaking sightseeing in the wildest and most virginal places of Cuban nature!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Three beautiful sandy stretches in the Caribbean have been named in TripAdvisor’s annual list of the world’s best beaches as part of the 2017 Travellers' Choice Awards. Playa Paraiso in Cuba, Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, and Eagle Beach in Aruba were all listed among the top five beaches, with Brazil’s remote Baia do Sancho beach scooping the top spot.
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.