Duration: Full Day
A tour to please all those curious about the city in which they're spending their time during their Cuba holidays and a tour for those seeking more than adventure…in short, this is a tour for those who want to get to know the real Cuba inside out with its most iconic places of great historic value and how they have stood the test of time in the present days.
You'll start by going aboard an old Baldwin steam train from the 1900s that will make its way through sugar cane fields following an ancient railway path. Go on this ride across sugar farmlands in true old fashioned style while seating in one of the train's typical last century passenger cars.
From here onwards, the tour will continue by coach towards a local cigar factory in Holguin City. Once inside you'll be given a fully guided tour throughout the factory so that you can see all the processes of making the best cigars in the world! Watch a veteran that has worked here for 40 years roll out the most expensive cigars…each one he makes is worth a whopping $300! Don't miss the chance to see a true master creating his unique masterpieces! See the tireless flow of work of these happy workers that like roll to the rhythm of music while they drink and even smoke. At the end of the tour you'll have the chance to make your own purchase of freshly made cigar that's just come out of the factory!
For lunch you will be taken to the unique Mayabe Farm, so that you can sample a delicious Creole dish in the most beautiful natural surroundings. This outstanding restaurant is situated in a unique location on the Mayabe Lookout point, positioned atop a magnificent hill overlooking the Mayabe Valley and from which you will enjoy the most breathtaking views.
Your journey will continue via bus taking you towards the province's city centre to show you Holguin's most colourful highlights. Begin with a stroll through the iconic Central Park "Calixto García", named after a liberation army patriot and surrounding which you will find Holguin's most visited places and hotspots. Around the park's symbolic monument you will find plenty of attractions in the form of museums, shops, a theatre, the famous Begonia bar and many other sites of cultural interest. Before the tour ends you can indulge in some shopping at Holguin's best stores, all located in this bustling area of the city's most important urban layout.
As part of this wonderful excursion and to give the day a spectacular finish you will also be taken to Loma de La Cruz (Hill of the Cross) a hill that stands out and can be seen from whichever point you're standing in the city. This is probably the city's most famous and representative sight. A towering 458 steps will take you to the top of this abandoned watchtower where you will find an enormous wooden cross and a spectacular view of the whole city!
Discover the many beauties of the enchanting city of Holguin in a full day tour unlike any other!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's most iconic and famous resort - Varadero
- Explore both the charming capital of Havana and the relaxed beach resort of Varadero within one holiday
- Enjoy a comfortable stay with all the 5* modern facilities and interiors you would expect
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy an array of water sports in Varadero including; catamaran, snorkelling & windsurfing
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.