Helicopter Tour to Santiago
Duration: Full Day
Visit the historical city of Santiago in style as you descend by helicopter into these glorious grounds that comprise so much of Cuban history. This splendorous and mountainous city is together with Cartagena de Indias in Colombia the only city in Latin America that has proudly won The Golden Apple Award, an outstanding recognition of the quality and exceptional conditions of this place as a touristic destination.
Santiago de Cuba is a beautiful and unique place in Cuba that during the times of the Spanish colony became the first capital of the island and remained its most important city for many years. Nowadays known as the cradle of famous Cuban rums like Bacardi and Havana Club, this city holds a unique allure as one of the most vivacious cities in the Caribbean with its carnivals being the most famous in the island!
You will be heading to Santiago by taking a breathtaking 45 minute helicopter flight offering you some wonderful sightseeing of this zone's splendid mountainous region, an incredible landscape to admire at from the sky.
Once at Santiago you will continue this excursion by bus to begin the fantastic city tour that will take you to see amazing panoramic views of the city. On this tour you will be able to appreciate a unique colonial architecture with Andalusian and Moorish influences that is a reminder of the cultural roots of the Spanish founders of the city. But Spanish presence is not all you will see here; at Santiago you will also find some French-Haitian presence in the practice of "tumba francesa", the coffee plantations and the iconic Tivoli Theatre.
A unique experience and one of the highlights of this fabulous tour will be the visit to the castle of San Pedro de la Roca, the origins of which date back to the late 1500s, when the Spanish king Philip II ordered its construction. This massive fortress of grand proportions was part of the city's defensive system against pirates and intruders. With its maze of stairways and dungeons, this military masterpiece of architecture now houses the Museum of Piracy, featuring an incredible display of the colonial era, piracy and slavery.
Among other items you will find blunderbusses, muskets, cutlasses and Toledo blades, all part of the castle's exhibition, declared Heritage of Humankind by UNESCO in 1997.
Your next stopover will be at Antonio Maceo Revolution Square, named after a heroic rebel of the independence wars against the Spanish colonists. This is a popular meeting place and a landmark for parades and carnivals. It will be from here that you will then be heading towards the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, the most important feature of which is the incredible memorial dedicated to Cuban soldiers who died fighting in Angola.
This splendid cemetery is also the place where Cuba's national hero, revolutionary and writer Jose Marti is buried. His tomb is a magnificent piece of architecture in the form of a hexagonal tower with each side representing one of Cuba's six original provinces. This peculiar cemetery is also the home to a shrine dedicated to Cuba's patron saint; the Virgin of Charity. This little church is also said to be the scene of many miracles performed by the saint.
The trip will include a stop at Villa Gaviota for lunch and afterwards you will be heading to a historic site for some more historical sightseeing. This time you will be visiting the bullet-ridden barracks of the Moncada garrison, the place that was once attacked by a group led by Fidel Castro in 1953.
And for the final moments of your tour in Santiago you will be allowed some free time at the end. Enjoy your time at leisure at Central Park, a place just at the heart of Santiago surrounded by old buildings and monuments. The perfect place to take in the last views of this charming city before heading back in our fantastic chopper.
So don't think it twice and come along this fabulous helicopter tour to one of Cuba's most culturally enriching and diverse cities! Come to mingle with the locals at Santiago, the island's second most important city and a venue for the worldwide famous "Festival of the Caribbean". A true cultural and historical paradise of to discover only with us!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Combine the vibrancy of charming Havana with a relaxing beach escape at a 24-hour All Inclusive resort in Varadero
- An excellent selection of restaurants and bars in Varadero including 3 a La Carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars
- Make the most of Havana with a private beach and the sea adjacent to the property and Old Havana nearby
- Never waste a minute in Varadero with everything from watersports to Spanish lessons to salsa and more
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Experience the beauty of colonial Havana from an elegant and quiet hotel, then relax on a fabulous beachfront resort set on Varadero's white sands
- Enjoy an unforgettable experience in Varadero with the sandy beaches, tranquil waters and endless activities offered at this 24 hour All Inclusive resort
- During your stay in Havana take our 2-day cultural tour from just £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Non-motorised water sports in Varadero included (catamaran, snorkelling, windsurfing)
Discover the pulsating charm of Cuba’s capital, countryside and beaches on this multi-centre summer holiday
Combine exploring the charm of bustling Havana, with a slow paced, Cuban summer beach escape.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Enjoy a variety of activities including snorkelling, diving, hiking, tennis, Spanish classes, dance classes and more.
- The tranquil base for exploring the capital, Havana
Spend this Christmas soaking up the real Cuban vibe in Havana and relax in Varadero at a 24hr All-Inc Adults-Only Resort
Relax and enjoy this modern adults only resort during Christmas
- Explore Cuba in a stylish 1950's American car with a complimentary vintage car tour, passing through the Miramar district, before seeing the amazing sites of Cuba such as the Revolution Square, University of Cuba and the iconic Hotel Nacional de Cuba!
- Celebrate with a Caribbean holiday of a lifetime and see in 2017 with the festive Gala dinners included in this offer!
- Benefit from the rooftop pool or relax and spoil yourself at the beauty salon at Nh Capri Hotel in Havana
- Enjoy a wide variety of activities ranging from scuba diving lessons to dance classes and more at at the 24hr all inclusive Breezes Varadero
- Perfect beach setting surrounded by tropical gardens; creating an intimate, romantic ambience in Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
After a local contest was carried out to see which was the most popular Cuban cocktail among our Cuba-loving staff (most of whom have been to Cuba several times themselves), the mojito was crowned the ultimate king of all Cuban drinks, which propelled us to create a special video telling you all about the most quintessential of Cuban beverages.
In a bid to take advantage of soaring visitor numbers, and make it easier for those travelling independently to avoid unnecessary legal and logistical issues, the new firm will deal with everything from private jet permits to bespoke itineraries.
For the first time in more than a half-century a regularly scheduled commercial flight has taken off from the United States en route to Cuba. The history-making moment is the latest move in relaxing travel restrictions between the two countries, making booking a holiday in Cuba easier and potentially less expensive for travellers.