Helicopter Tour to Santiago
Duration: Full Day
Visit the historical city of Santiago in style as you descend by helicopter into these glorious grounds that comprise so much of Cuban history. This splendorous and mountainous city is together with Cartagena de Indias in Colombia the only city in Latin America that has proudly won The Golden Apple Award, an outstanding recognition of the quality and exceptional conditions of this place as a touristic destination.
Santiago de Cuba is a beautiful and unique place in Cuba that during the times of the Spanish colony became the first capital of the island and remained its most important city for many years. Nowadays known as the cradle of famous Cuban rums like Bacardi and Havana Club, this city holds a unique allure as one of the most vivacious cities in the Caribbean with its carnivals being the most famous in the island!
You will be heading to Santiago by taking a breathtaking 45 minute helicopter flight offering you some wonderful sightseeing of this zone's splendid mountainous region, an incredible landscape to admire at from the sky.
Once at Santiago you will continue this excursion by bus to begin the fantastic city tour that will take you to see amazing panoramic views of the city. On this tour you will be able to appreciate a unique colonial architecture with Andalusian and Moorish influences that is a reminder of the cultural roots of the Spanish founders of the city. But Spanish presence is not all you will see here; at Santiago you will also find some French-Haitian presence in the practice of "tumba francesa", the coffee plantations and the iconic Tivoli Theatre.
A unique experience and one of the highlights of this fabulous tour will be the visit to the castle of San Pedro de la Roca, the origins of which date back to the late 1500s, when the Spanish king Philip II ordered its construction. This massive fortress of grand proportions was part of the city's defensive system against pirates and intruders. With its maze of stairways and dungeons, this military masterpiece of architecture now houses the Museum of Piracy, featuring an incredible display of the colonial era, piracy and slavery.
Among other items you will find blunderbusses, muskets, cutlasses and Toledo blades, all part of the castle's exhibition, declared Heritage of Humankind by UNESCO in 1997.
Your next stopover will be at Antonio Maceo Revolution Square, named after a heroic rebel of the independence wars against the Spanish colonists. This is a popular meeting place and a landmark for parades and carnivals. It will be from here that you will then be heading towards the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, the most important feature of which is the incredible memorial dedicated to Cuban soldiers who died fighting in Angola.
This splendid cemetery is also the place where Cuba's national hero, revolutionary and writer Jose Marti is buried. His tomb is a magnificent piece of architecture in the form of a hexagonal tower with each side representing one of Cuba's six original provinces. This peculiar cemetery is also the home to a shrine dedicated to Cuba's patron saint; the Virgin of Charity. This little church is also said to be the scene of many miracles performed by the saint.
The trip will include a stop at Villa Gaviota for lunch and afterwards you will be heading to a historic site for some more historical sightseeing. This time you will be visiting the bullet-ridden barracks of the Moncada garrison, the place that was once attacked by a group led by Fidel Castro in 1953.
And for the final moments of your tour in Santiago you will be allowed some free time at the end. Enjoy your time at leisure at Central Park, a place just at the heart of Santiago surrounded by old buildings and monuments. The perfect place to take in the last views of this charming city before heading back in our fantastic chopper.
So don't think it twice and come along this fabulous helicopter tour to one of Cuba's most culturally enriching and diverse cities! Come to mingle with the locals at Santiago, the island's second most important city and a venue for the worldwide famous "Festival of the Caribbean". A true cultural and historical paradise of to discover only with us!
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Enjoy the vibrancy of Havana, the heritage of Trinidad and the serene seaside beauty of Varadero
- Enjoy colonial grandeur in Trinidad and soak up the local time-warped atmosphere
- Bask on the glorious Varadero beach at a luxury, adults-only all-inclusive resort
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Parque Central
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.