Duration: 2 Days
For those who want to get more than a glimpse of Santiago and enjoy the privilege of spending a night under this city's starry skies, then this is just the tour for you!
Come to discover the city that's the cradle of famous Cuban rhythms such as the Son and the Bolero, and also the hometown of many of the members of the world famous Buena Vista Social Club. Come to the land of the mountain singers, as they are popularly called in the lyrics of a song that's more like a popular anthem amongst the people.
But before you head for this magical city there will be a stopover at the province of Bayamo, the third of the first six Cuban cities founded by Spanish conqueror Diego Velazquez. During the 16th century this city was one of the most important agricultural and commercial settlements in the islands, driving a thriving contraband that made it the leading town in Cuba at the turn of the 17th century.
The city carried out a great clandestine traffic with Curacao, Jamaica and other foreign islands throughout the 17th and 18th century making being also the capital of the First Republic in Arms during Cuba's wars of independence later on in the 19th century. It was in this city that rebels decided to burn the village down before having to give it up to the colonists. It was also in this city that Cuba's National Anthem was born, also known as "The Hymn of Bayamo", being this also the place where it was first composed, played and sung.
During your time at Bayamo you will enjoy a walk through its main Boulevard making a stop at the Hymn Square, where the national anthem was first played and sung.
After a short stop for lunch you will begin the journey towards Santiago de Cuba where your first visit will be at The Church of The Virgin of Charity (Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre), Cuba's patron saint.
The national sanctuary honouring this saint is located in a breathtaking mountain region near the town of El Cobre. During the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1998 and specifically during his time in Santiago he honoured this place by crowning the image of the Caridad del Cobre Virgin as Cuba's patron virgin for Catholics and in front of its image a golden rosary was placed.
For your night at Santiago accommodation will be at the wonderful 5* Melia Santiago Hotel. After some refreshments and dining at this hotel you will be taken to the fabulous Santiago's Troubadour's House where the most famous representatives of this music genre have played, including the ever popular stars of Buena Vista Social Club. Whatever your choice, prepare for a magical evening filled with Cuba's most authentic expressions of music and dance.
And after dancing the night away and having a good rest at our Melia hotel, the adventure restarts the next morning right after breakfast. You will begin with a visit to the incredible castle of Sand Pedro de la Roca also popularly known as "El Morro". This magnificent fortress stands as a powerful reminder of the city's colonial era, built at the narrow entrance of Santiago bay as a defence system to protect the city from pirates and intruders. The castle is now home to the fantastic Museum of Piracy with a unique exhibition on piracy, colonialism and slavery.
Your next stop will be at the iconic Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, a wonderful masterpiece of colonial architecture in which Cuba's national hero, revolutionary poet and writer Jose Marti lies. His tomb is an incredible monument in the form of a hexagonal tower with each side representing one of Cuba's six original cities. This outstanding cemetery also features an incredible memorial dedicated to the memory of Cuban soldiers who died fighting in the Angola war.
And your last visit will be at the Moncada garrison, the historical building that revolutionaries led by Fidel Castro raided in order to rebel against Cuba's former regime. These bullet ridden-barracks are now the historical Museum of 26th July, named after the date of the attacks.
Your next activity before heading back to Holguin will be a stopover for delicious lunch. And after the refreshments you will enjoy some free time for walking at your leisure around Santiago Central Park, the centre of Santiago's life where you will also find the Metropolitan Cathedral, the oldest in Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel
- Enjoy a free upgrade to the ocean view at Melia Habana
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
Starting on Friday 12th January, Caribbean Airline Limited (CAL) will make inter-regional travel simpler as it begins operating flights to Cuba from four other islands: Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada and Guyana. In an attempt to promote the new route, CAL launched a campaign called "Hola Cuba" which is offering a 50 per cent discount on tickets.
Members of Cuban Parliament recently gathered in the Attention to Services Commission to discuss the current situation of tourism in the island. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz and his peers highlighted the industry’s positive results (with a 19.7% increase in comparison to 2016), addressed ongoing issues and reviewed long-haul plans for the future of this sector in the island.
Filled with colonial charm and an eclectic, buzzing atmosphere, Havana is one of the most picture-worthy destinations in the world. Travel magazine Lonely Planet recently published an article describing the top seven settings within Cuba’s capital that make for wonderful selfie shots.