Duration: 2 Days
For those who want to get more than a glimpse of Santiago and enjoy the privilege of spending a night under this city's starry skies, then this is just the tour for you!
Come to discover the city that's the cradle of famous Cuban rhythms such as the Son and the Bolero, and also the hometown of many of the members of the world famous Buena Vista Social Club. Come to the land of the mountain singers, as they are popularly called in the lyrics of a song that's more like a popular anthem amongst the people.
But before you head for this magical city there will be a stopover at the province of Bayamo, the third of the first six Cuban cities founded by Spanish conqueror Diego Velazquez. During the 16th century this city was one of the most important agricultural and commercial settlements in the islands, driving a thriving contraband that made it the leading town in Cuba at the turn of the 17th century.
The city carried out a great clandestine traffic with Curacao, Jamaica and other foreign islands throughout the 17th and 18th century making being also the capital of the First Republic in Arms during Cuba's wars of independence later on in the 19th century. It was in this city that rebels decided to burn the village down before having to give it up to the colonists. It was also in this city that Cuba's National Anthem was born, also known as "The Hymn of Bayamo", being this also the place where it was first composed, played and sung.
During your time at Bayamo you will enjoy a walk through its main Boulevard making a stop at the Hymn Square, where the national anthem was first played and sung.
After a short stop for lunch you will begin the journey towards Santiago de Cuba where your first visit will be at The Church of The Virgin of Charity (Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre), Cuba's patron saint.
The national sanctuary honouring this saint is located in a breathtaking mountain region near the town of El Cobre. During the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1998 and specifically during his time in Santiago he honoured this place by crowning the image of the Caridad del Cobre Virgin as Cuba's patron virgin for Catholics and in front of its image a golden rosary was placed.
For your night at Santiago accommodation will be at the wonderful 5* Melia Santiago Hotel. After some refreshments and dining at this hotel you will be taken to the fabulous Santiago's Troubadour's House where the most famous representatives of this music genre have played, including the ever popular stars of Buena Vista Social Club. Whatever your choice, prepare for a magical evening filled with Cuba's most authentic expressions of music and dance.
And after dancing the night away and having a good rest at our Melia hotel, the adventure restarts the next morning right after breakfast. You will begin with a visit to the incredible castle of Sand Pedro de la Roca also popularly known as "El Morro". This magnificent fortress stands as a powerful reminder of the city's colonial era, built at the narrow entrance of Santiago bay as a defence system to protect the city from pirates and intruders. The castle is now home to the fantastic Museum of Piracy with a unique exhibition on piracy, colonialism and slavery.
Your next stop will be at the iconic Santa Ifigenia Cemetery, a wonderful masterpiece of colonial architecture in which Cuba's national hero, revolutionary poet and writer Jose Marti lies. His tomb is an incredible monument in the form of a hexagonal tower with each side representing one of Cuba's six original cities. This outstanding cemetery also features an incredible memorial dedicated to the memory of Cuban soldiers who died fighting in the Angola war.
And your last visit will be at the Moncada garrison, the historical building that revolutionaries led by Fidel Castro raided in order to rebel against Cuba's former regime. These bullet ridden-barracks are now the historical Museum of 26th July, named after the date of the attacks.
Your next activity before heading back to Holguin will be a stopover for delicious lunch. And after the refreshments you will enjoy some free time for walking at your leisure around Santiago Central Park, the centre of Santiago's life where you will also find the Metropolitan Cathedral, the oldest in Cuba.
Cuba Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
When top notch accommodation in Cuba is what you're after, this package combines two of the island's best hotels in the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Combine a vibrant discovery of the capital of Havana, with a stunning nature retreat to the UNESCO world heritage...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Cuba
Cuba NewsBrowse all Cuba News
It’s an end of an era for one cruise line which made history in Cuba. Fathom was the first cruise line to offer regular sailings between the U.S and Cuba following relaxed travel restrictions, but the cruise line made its final call on the Caribbean island last week after owners Carnival Corporation decided not to renew the licence. The move comes just as the U.S-Cuba travel industry awaits its fate, after it was announced that U.S President Trump would reveal new changes.
As the number of American visitors continues to rise, Cuba has experienced remarkable tourism income in the recent years and is expected to keep growing in 2017. Authorities of the region share their views on the matter, highlighting the potential to make the nation’s popularity an opportunity to increase the Caribbean market as a whole.
“The Burial of Pachencho in Cuba”, a blog piece written by Cuba expert Claire Boobbyer for The Holiday Place, was awarded the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) media travel award for Online Blog Feature of the Year last night during a ceremony held in London. The Holiday Place is thrilled at having landed such recognition and warmly congratulates our featured, award-winning travel writer for her insight on a rare Cuban celebration and ongoing tradition in a small town.