Poas Volcano National Park
Duration: Half Day
Poas Volcano is the most visited National Park in the Costa Rica, due to its close proximity to San José, and the fact that it is one of the most biologically diverse parks in the country, covering an area of approximately 16 acres. A visit should be high on your list during your holiday in Costa Rica. The road to the park is an adventure in itself, as you admire the spectacular views; passing quaint villages, coffee plantations and dairy farms. When you finally arrive in the park, you are surrounded by lush green, unique vegetation.
Poas Volcano is an active volcano, and one of the most spectacular in Costa Rica. Featuring impressive craters and stunning scenery, visitors can get right to the edge of the volcano and look down into the bubbling cauldron below, which offers fantastic photo opportunities. At 320 meters deep, one mile wide and rising 2,708 meters above sea level, this crater is the largest accessible crater in the world. Sulphuric smoke and steam often rise from the boiling acid lake at the bottom, and the muddy waters often change colour (from turquoise, grey, green and yellow), depending on the volcanic activity. There are small, frequent geyser-type eruptions, but the last major eruptions occurred between 1952 and 1954.
The well-marked trails will lead you to two other craters in the park − the extinct Von Frantzuis and the Botos – both of which remain inactive. Botos is a beautiful, bubbling, crater lake, filled with cold green-blue water and surrounded by lush cloud forest. The area is home to a large number of cloud forest birds, including hummingbirds, flycatchers, tanagers, emerald toucanets, the famous resplendent quetzals and the lay-coloured robin, Costa Rica's national bird. The Botos crater has not erupted for about 7,500 years.
Aside from birds, the park contains a variety of other wildlife species, within four different ecosystems: cloud forest, an area of arrayans, scarce vegetation and stunted or ‘dwarf’ forests, which are unable to grow properly due to the acid rain that emanates from Poas Volcano. As you walk along the short, well-kept trails, look out for creatures such as bang’s mountain squirrels, bats, skunks, coyotes and Poas green-yellow squirrels, which can only be found here and nowhere else in the world – hence the name.
What to bring: Sun block, light jacket, walking shoes, raincoat, camera and hat.
Length of tour: Half day
Costa Rica Holidays Browse all
Pamper yourself in a world of relaxation followed by a stay in a dreamy beach resort with amazing ocean views
Ideal getaway to explore the nature and culture of Costa Rica at Palma Real Hotel and Casino and Best Western Jaco Beach Resort
- Enjoy the benefits from the fully equipped fitness centre at Palma Real with incredible views of the city
- Escape from the noisy city and feel like royalty in the modern and cosy rooms including free wireless internet.
- Try from the delicious Costa Rican cuisine at the A La Carte Restaurants and Buffets combined with warm and friendly atmosphere
Explore two different sides of Costa Rica with the perfect selection of activities, entertainments and facilities on-site
- Combine a stay within the capital San Jose, with a beach retreat to Puntarenas, all within one holiday.
- The selected 4* hotels boast clean interiors with all the facilities you would need for a comfortable stay.
- Enjoy fantastic activities including live music shows, sports and more.
Enjoy a Fantastic holiday that perfectly divides your time between a city and beach hotel in Costa Rica
The hotels offer the ideal place for couples or families with younger children with a wide selection of activities and entertainments
- Enjoy a variety of classes from yoga and tai chi to dance and Spanish classes as well as an exciting range of eco-adventures from hiking to catamaran tours and scuba diving at The Westin Golf Resort and Spa, Playa Conchal
- All rooms at both hotels feature a range of fantastic amenities including free high-speed Wi-Fi, and offer the best in comfort.
- Enjoy a relaxing environment and perfect culinary choices at Park Inn by Radisson hotel featuring classical international cuisine.
This holiday has been designed to offer you the best of both worlds whether you want to relax or adventure and offers the chance to see what Costa Rica has to offer
- Split your time between the city and beach on this wonderfully designed twin centre stay in two fantastic hotels
- Each of the Barcelo restaurants is an unique experience, where you can try some traditional as well as international cuisines
Discover the best of Costa Rica with this spectacular City and Beach special offer
- Live at Aloft Hotels brings you live, intimate, acoustic performances and backstage moments by some of the hottest emerging artists at Aloft's W XYZ Bar
- Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury® in Papagayo where almost everything is as the name suggests
- Stay well connected with the FREE Wi-Fi internet access at both of the resorts
The ideal place to create a life time of family memories at Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort. Perfectly...
The Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort offers a pure tropical escape in an area of lush forests and volcanic cliffs that...
Take an unforgettable two-week Latin American adventure starting in Cuba, detouring into Costa Rica and then coming to a...
Enjoy the best of Costa Rica in eight unforgettable days of bliss. You will discover, in your first three days spent in...
Westin Playa Conchal is a stunning all-suite resort that combines pristine natural beauty with thrilling adventure and...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...
Named after the beach which it lies facing, the Barcelo Tambor Beach hotel is a luxury five-star resort that...
A modern, all-inclusive resort hotel with every facility on offer, the The Doubletree Resort by Hilton Costa Rica -...
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect get-away for all the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Costa Rica
Costa Rica NewsBrowse all Costa Rica News
Costa Rica is one of the world’s greenest destinations and over recent years it has become a hotspot or adventure lovers. With two coastlines facing the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling adventures in the country, and it is home to a variety of diving sites such as Cocos Island, Cano Island and Catalina Islands.
A brand new boutique hotel has opened to guests in the town of Las Catalinas in Costa Rica. Owned and operated by NP International, Casa Chameleon at Las Catalinas is located on the hilltop, and offers 21 luxury villas with private plunge pools, plus facilities including an open-air yoga pavilion, a zero-edge swimming pool, an open-air restaurant and a poolside bar.
Hard Rock International has revealed that it will bring the Hard Rock Hotels brand to Costa Rica in 2019. Hard Rock Hotel Papagayo, Costa Rica will be located in the Guanacaste province of the Central American country, just 30 minutes from Liberia International Airport, and it will have 294 guest rooms and suites, as well as the brand’s signature facilities such as the Rock Spa and The Sound of Your Stay music programme.