Costa Rica - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Do I need any vaccinations ahead of travel?
- Is it safe to drink the water?
- What is the legal age for drinking and gambling?
When is the best time to go?
The most popular time to travel to Costa Rica is during the dry season, which runs from December to April. However, it's not a bad idea to travel during the rainy season, which is between May and November, as the mornings are usually sunny with the wet weather arriving in the afternoon. There is a risk of hurricanes during the rainy season, but as a general rule you can visit Costa Rica year-round.
Do you need a visa?
British nationals do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica and will be allowed to stay for up to three months as a visitor. Likewise, citizens or permanent residents of the European Union, Canada and the United States do not need a visa to enter the country, nor do those holding a visa for either of the above-mentioned countries provided that their visa is stamped on their passports and valid for at least 3 months. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months from the date you arrive in Costa Rica.
How can I get there?
Most of the flights from Europe to Costa Rica pass through the U.S., although there are some direct services but none of these depart from Britain If you are travelling via the U.S., remember that you need to apply for a U.S. visa, even if you'll only be in transit. The average journey time to Costa Rica from the UK is around 14 hours (including a stopover).
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The local currency is the colon, although U.S. dollars are widely accepted and you will often see tour prices listed in dollars. Credit cards can be used in many establishments and there are ATMs in the cities and larger towns.
What is there to see and do?
Costa Rica's biggest attraction is its natural environment, which is varied and stunning. It boasts a Caribbean and Pacific coastline, each of which is home to beautiful stretches of sand. The Pacific seaboard is particularly well known for its excellent surfing opportunities. There are dozens of national parks and protected areas in Costa Rica that attract many travellers keen to spot the country's exotic wildlife. One of the most popular is the Arenal Volcano National Park, which encompasses the area surrounding the active volcano. Hiking, horseback riding and canopy tours are all popular things to do in Costa Rica's protected nature reserves. You'll also find several community museums dotted throughout Costa Rica where you can learn more about the local culture and history. Among the most notable are the Indigenous Boruca Museum and the Abangares Mines Museum, while in San Jose there are institutions like the Costa Rica National Museum, the Costa Rica Art Museum and the Costa Rica G
Do I need any vaccinations ahead of travel?
You don't need any vaccinations to enter Costa Rica, although you will be required to be vaccinated against yellow fever if you are entering the country from a region with a risk of yellow fever transmission.
Is it safe to drink the water?
The tap water is safe to drink, but it is generally recommended to stick to bottled water to be on the safe side.
What is the legal age for drinking and gambling?
The legal age for drinking alcohol and gambling is 21 in Costa Rica. You will be required to provide proof of your age if you want to buy any alcoholic drinks.
Costa Rica Holidays Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- Book 2019 Early and save up to 50% off with the AM Resorts Amazing Sale
- Activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- All-inclusive at an array of a la carte restaurants, or enjoy 24 hour room service
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Breathe the purest air in the rolling hills of central Costa Rica, marvel at scenery of epic grandeur and beaches that fringe the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean.
- During this tour you will experience various inclusions such as Tortuguero National Park and a Nicaragua and Granada Sightseeing Excursion along with much more
- Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Enjoy a relaxing end to your tour after an action packed tour with an All Inclusive stay on the beach
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...
Located in historic district of San Jose, Radisson San Jose enjoys a close proximity to the famous tourist attractions...
Aloft San Jose is a brand new hotel located in Costa Rica's trendiest neighbourhood. The hotel has fantastic facilities...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Costa Rica
Costa Rica NewsBrowse all Costa Rica News
The finishes touches are currently being added to a new high-spec ranch between the Talamanca mountains of southern Costa Rica. Rancho Villa Verde is being offered as a boutique hotel or residential compound with plush suites, a swimming pool, stables and dining facilities all within easy reach of San Isidro and the Costa Rican coast.
Gran Hotel Costa Rica, Curio Collection by Hilton has reopened following extensive renovations. Located in downtown San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, the property has 79 stylish guest rooms. The historic hotel originally opened in 1930, and it now features modern design, indoor gardens, a gourmet restaurant, and a rooftop piano bar which overlooks the National Theatre and vibrant city.
Renowned travel and tourism publication, Caribbean Journal recently posted an article on the best all-inclusive holiday experiences in exotic Costa Rica. The online magazine listed the top ten all-inclusive resort brands in the country and commented on their most attractive features.