Barbados Arts and Craft Tours
Duration: Half Day
If you are looking for unique gifts and souvenirs to take away with you during your holiday in Barbados, this inspiring arts and crafts tour will leave you spoilt for choice. Not only will you see beautiful creations from the island’s many talented craftspeople, but you can also meet the artists and hear fascinating stories about their life and work. This is a wonderful introduction to Barbados’ vibrant art scene.
Barbados is renowned for its beautiful arts and crafts – from colourful fashion and cloth painting to fine art, pottery and basket weaving. Many of the island’s artisans have acquired traditional skills that have been passed on from generation to generation, and in recent years, a large number of enterprising young craftspeople have opened shops and galleries around the island to sell and display their work. This provides a wonderful opportunity for visitors to see and buy items that are truly original, whilst supporting the artists so they can continue showcasing their talents and making a living.
There are many wonderful galleries and workshops to visit in Barbados, but one of the most popular is Chalky Mount Potteries in the parish of Saint Andrew on the east coast of the island. Barbadian potters have practiced their skills here for hundreds of years, making beautiful items from the naturally occurring clay deposits that the village sits upon. Pottery has become one of the country’s most important cottage industries, supplying pots, vases, kitchenware, sculptures and many other items for locals and tourists. During the tour you can watch the local craftspeople at work as they mould, kiln, decorate and glaze the clay to produce some wonderful pieces. Whilst you are there, this is also a great opportunity to talk to the artists and learn about their daily lives and skills.
The next venue on the tour is the Medford Mahogany and Craft Village near Bridgetown. Owned by self-taught artist Dr. Reggie Medford, it has earned a reputation as one of the best craft shops on the island and is now a highly recognised centre for genuine Barbadian mahogany gifts and souvenirs. The items on display in the shops include a beautiful selection of hand-carved birds, fish, palm trees, boats, clocks and many other mahogany figurines and crafts. Visitors are free to watch and photograph the craftsmen whilst they work, which will enable you to appreciate their efforts and talents even more. This is a great place to purchase quality souvenirs that you would be proud to display back home.
We move onwards to the Pelican Craft Village in Bridgetown, the largest of its kind in the Caribbean, where you can gain yet another insight into the diversity and creativity of Barbados’ artisans. This quaint shopping centre is dedicated to arts and crafts and offers a wonderful variety of local goods, including pottery, straw works, glass blowing, metal work, fine art, colourful batiks, weaving, mahogany carvings and much more besides. The village is divided into both a retail section and workshops, so visitors have the chance to browse, buy and watch the artists at work. This tour will introduce you to just a small selection of some of the best arts and crafts venues in Barbados, so make time to visit more if you are inspired by what you see.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Relax and unwind at the wonderful Hodges Bay Resort by Elegant Hotels in Antigua and Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels in Barbados
- Swim through a waterfall during your stay at Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels and reward yourself with a refreshing drink at The Cave bar after your swim
- Make the most of an extensive range of facilities at Hodges Bay by Elegant Hotels, including a deluxe spa, water sports, 3 pools, tropical gardens, and much more
- Discover a number of Caribbean charms including Barbados' famous west coast and Antigua's calm waters and coral reefs
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.