Natural Wonders of Barbados
Duration: Half Day
The stunning island of Barbados is blessed with some of the most beautiful natural wonders in the Caribbean. Lush botanical gardens, paradise beaches and unique rock formations are just some of the country’s most treasured features. This tour will give you a glimpse of some of the highlights as we venture to a working farm to see the indigenous Blackbelly Sheep before continuing onwards to explore the beautiful Andromeda Gardens, the famous Bathsheba rock formations, Cherry Tree Hill and Whim Gully to appreciate and learn about the rich flora of the island. Nature lovers will be in their element.
Starting at Park’s Farm, you will be taken on a guided tour to see animals such as the striking Barbados Blackbelly Sheep. This indigenous domestic animal resembles both a deer and a goat with its course hair rather than wool, but it is a true species of sheep. Although the Barbados Blackbelly has evolved on the island, it is believed to have African ancestry and can tolerate heat and show more stamina than most breeds of sheep. They are primarily reared for meat and are very easy to breed and keep. If you are lucky, you may be able to see the adorable Blackbelly lambs whilst you are here.
Moving onwards, our next stop brings us to Andromeda Gardens in the Parish of St Joseph. Nestled on a cliff overlooking Barbados’ rugged east coast, this beautifully landscaped, six-acre garden started as a private plant collection at the home of Ms. Iris Bannochie, a leading horticulturalist, in 1954, and is now currently owned by the Barbados National Trust. The garden is a delight to explore because it boasts one of the best collections of indigenous and exotic tropical flowers and plants in the Caribbean. Many different species of palms, tropical flowers and shrubs are displayed here, so you are greeted by splashes of colour and sweet aromas everywhere you turn. Ponds, streams, shady nooks and rocky ledges are also featured throughout the park, so there is much to see during your visit. This is a small piece of paradise not to be missed.
Just a short drive from Andromeda, we come to the famous rock formations at Bathsheba beach. These striking coral boulders broke away from ancient coral reefs thousands of years ago. The most prominent feature is the enormous Bathsheba Rock, which rises from the ocean just off the shore. We shortly drive onwards along the famous East Coast Road, which will give you dramatic views of the powerful Atlantic Ocean and the hills and mountains in the distance. The road soon leads us to the beautiful Cherry Tree Hill, which lies approximately 850 feet above sea level. Here you can enjoy yet more magnificent views before we make our last stop of the tour at Whim Gully. This unique tropical gully is part of an island-wide system that features a rich diversity of native plants and trees amongst its coral stone walls. These spectacular sights are just some of the natural treasures not to miss during your holiday in Barbados.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
This hand picked twin centre perfectly combines two deluxe hotels in two amazing locaitons for an unmissable holiday
- Grenadian by Rex Resorts has a unique location on 2 broad sandy beaches. one relaxing beach and the other a watersports paradise
- The friendly Worthing Court has a wonderful location beautifully nestled on Barbados' pristine south coast
- Barbados and Grenada are two of the most amazing islands in Caribbean and you will be spending your time split between the destinations for a truly great holiday
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Discover the best of two stunning Caribbean islands, both bursting with stunning scenery and laid-back vibes
Make the most of tropical luxury at Hawksbill Beach by Rex Resorts, Antigua, before heading to Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts for a relaxing Bajan experience
- With A Perfect Setting And An Array Of Facilities, Hawksbill Offers Guests Amazing Value. The Resort Has A Freshwater Pool, 4 Beaches, One Where Clothes Are Optional, A Wellness Cottage For Masages And Watersports, Tennis, Volleyball And Table Tennis.
- Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts embodies a true Bajan experience, with its rustic style adding to the perfect authenticity of the place.
- Hawksbill Beach By Rex Is Set In Acres Of Landscaped Tropical Gardens, Beside 4 Secluded Beaches, Just 15 Minutes From St John And Only 25 Minutes From The Airport
Escape to the sunny shore of the Caribbean with a holiday in gorgeous Grenada and beautiful Barbados
Enjoy the boutique charm of True Blue Bay Boutique, Grenada, before heading to the Rostrevor Hotel
- Rostrevor is a great hotel with a prime beachfront location in St. Lawrence Gap, bustling with things for you to do on your holidays
- Make the most of free beach transfers and free activities during your stay at True Blue Bay
- Enjoy free Wi-Fi at both the Rostrevor Hotel and True Blue Bay
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.