Farley Hill - Barbados Colonial Past
Duration: Half Day
Rich in history, the beautiful island of Barbados boasts a fascinating colonial past that dates back to the early 17th century when the first British settlers came to the island. This tour will give you an insight into the lives of the wealthy Barbadians during the 19th century as we visit the ruins of Farley Hill, a once regal mansion that stands in the beautiful Farley Hill National Park.
Set in 17 acres of verdant tropical parkland in the parish of St Peter, Farley Hill was once the site of a grand plantation house, built from 1818. Additional rooms were later added over the following 50 years and it eventually grew to be regarded as the most impressive mansion in Barbados.
During the late 1800's, Sir Thomas Graham Briggs, a wealthy British planter and legislator, lived the high life there, hosting extravagant dinner parties for royal guests such as Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh; Princes Albert Victor and later King George V of England. This was a far cry from the poor living conditions of the lower class citizens on the island.
The mansion is tucked away in a forest of mahogany trees high up on a hill, and one of the highlights of this area is its spectacular views that overlook the rugged Atlantic coast. Farley Hill is an idea spot to enjoy a picnic and get close to nature in beautiful surroundings. Due to its picturesque setting, Farley Hill mansion was used in the filming of the classic movie "Island in the Sun".
Unfortunately the house was destroyed by fire in 1965, after which the site was opened as a national park by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1966, the same year Barbados gained independence. Despite the fires and hurricanes that ravished the house, the building walls are made from coral stone and are still standing today.
As well as being one of Barbados’ biggest attractions and a popular picnic spots for locals, Farley Hill is also used for theatrical events and concerts such as the annual Barbados Jazz Festival, a week-long festival that features the world’s leading jazz musicians. During this time the magnificent ruins of Farley Hill House are transformed, becoming the background for a beautiful open-air stage. If you are on holiday in Barbados in January, this is a wonderful experience not to be missed.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
This hand picked twin centre perfectly combines two deluxe hotels in two amazing locaitons for an unmissable holiday
- Grenadian by Rex Resorts has a unique location on 2 broad sandy beaches. one relaxing beach and the other a watersports paradise
- The friendly Worthing Court has a wonderful location beautifully nestled on Barbados' pristine south coast
- Barbados and Grenada are two of the most amazing islands in Caribbean and you will be spending your time split between the destinations for a truly great holiday
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Discover the best of two stunning Caribbean islands, both bursting with stunning scenery and laid-back vibes
Make the most of tropical luxury at Hawksbill Beach by Rex Resorts, Antigua, before heading to Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts for a relaxing Bajan experience
- With A Perfect Setting And An Array Of Facilities, Hawksbill Offers Guests Amazing Value. The Resort Has A Freshwater Pool, 4 Beaches, One Where Clothes Are Optional, A Wellness Cottage For Masages And Watersports, Tennis, Volleyball And Table Tennis.
- Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts embodies a true Bajan experience, with its rustic style adding to the perfect authenticity of the place.
- Hawksbill Beach By Rex Is Set In Acres Of Landscaped Tropical Gardens, Beside 4 Secluded Beaches, Just 15 Minutes From St John And Only 25 Minutes From The Airport
Escape to the sunny shore of the Caribbean with a holiday in gorgeous Grenada and beautiful Barbados
Enjoy the boutique charm of True Blue Bay Boutique, Grenada, before heading to the Rostrevor Hotel
- Rostrevor is a great hotel with a prime beachfront location in St. Lawrence Gap, bustling with things for you to do on your holidays
- Make the most of free beach transfers and free activities during your stay at True Blue Bay
- Enjoy free Wi-Fi at both the Rostrevor Hotel and True Blue Bay
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.