Barbados Wildlife Reserve
Duration: Half Day
Immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of the animal kingdom during your holiday in Barbados on this memorable tour of the Barbados Wildlife Reserve. See hundreds of native birds, animals and reptiles in their natural habitats and observe the island’s famous Green Monkeys at close range. This is a great day out for the whole family.
Nestled in a natural mahogany wood, near Farley Hill National Park in the parish of St. Peter, the Barbados Wildlife Reserve is a tropical haven for hundreds of Caribbean plants and animals, all of which thrive in their natural environment. You can spot all kinds of native wildlife roaming or flying freely around the park, and there are few cages so the animals and birds can be observed as they eat, play and interact with the other creatures.
The walk-in aviary is one of the highlights of the reserve. Hundreds of brightly-coloured tropical birds, flamingos, parakeets, peacocks, brown pelicans, sparrows and other bid species thrive amongst the exotic trees and plants, which provide the perfect environment for them to live in. Reptile lovers will appreciate the vast collection of snakes (which are kept safely in cages), as well as caimans, red-footed tortoises, large land turtles and Cuban iguanas in the Iguana Sanctuary.
The reserve’s main attraction is the rare Green Monkeys, which originated from Senegal and Gambia in West Africa. Watch these adorable creatures sleeping in their mahogany treetop beds, swinging from the branches and playing in the nearby Grenade Hall forest. Don’t miss feeding time when they are given fresh fruit and grains to eat. This is the perfect opportunity to watch and take photos of these energetic primates.
Other animals that are likely to be spotted in the reserve include Brocket deer, armadillos, racoons, otters and many other creatures. Look carefully amongst the bushes and the trees as you walk through along the shady paths, although please remember that these animals are not tame so unexpected noises may frighten them away. You will be amazed at the beauty and diversity of Barbados’ wildlife.
For a change of scenery, enjoy the tranquillity of the forest at Grenade Hall, which dates back to the 1800s. Learn about a multitude of plants, and their origin and medicinal properties. You will also learn how messages used to be sent across the island via signals along a line of towers, one of which you can climb for a magnificent view of the entire island.
A visit to Barbados Wildlife Reserve is a wonderful way to support a project that is devoted to loving and respecting the island’s wildlife as well as research and conservation.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Relax and unwind at the wonderful Hodges Bay Resort by Elegant Hotels in Antigua and Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels in Barbados
- Swim through a waterfall during your stay at Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels and reward yourself with a refreshing drink at The Cave bar after your swim
- Make the most of an extensive range of facilities at Hodges Bay by Elegant Hotels, including a deluxe spa, water sports, 3 pools, tropical gardens, and much more
- Discover a number of Caribbean charms including Barbados' famous west coast and Antigua's calm waters and coral reefs
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.