Barbados Museum and Historical Society
Duration: Half Day
Explore the rich heritage and culture of Barbados on this fascinating tour of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society. Learn about a diverse range of historic periods such as human development on the island, the Caribbean slave trade, military history, natural history and much, much more. There is even a Children’s Gallery to keep the younger ones amused. This excursion is a great way to educate the whole family about Barbados.
The Barbados Museum and Historical Society has been housed in the former 19th century British military prison of St. Ann's Garrison since 1930. The oldest part of the building was constructed around 1820. What makes the museum so fascinating is the extensive and varied collection of historical paraphernalia, artifacts, period furniture, local crafts and informative displays of Barbados’ history, culture, flora and fauna that will appeal to such a wide range of interests.
Explore the past and watch history come to life as you venture into the different rooms and galleries. Get an insight into the lives of the wealthy sugar plantation owners during the 18th and 19th centuries in the Warmington Gallery, which is set in four period rooms from a typical plantation house. Or learn about 4,000 years of human development on the island in The Jubilee Gallery – from Barbados’ earliest inhabitants (the Amerindians) to the first European settlers in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Military Gallery showcases the historical development of Barbados’s armed forces from the 17th century until the end of World War II, and old relics such as military medals, armaments, maps and photographs are on display here.
Many other interesting exhibitions can be found throughout the museum, including the African Gallery which introduces visitors to the geography, history and heritage of Africa and its influence on Caribbean society. The Natural History Gallery is a must for anyone interested in the flora and fauna of the island. Colourful exhibits will teach you about the ecology of the coral reef and its abundant marine life, as well as the conservation and protection of sea turtles, the fishing industry, endangered animals and many other related topics that aim to increase the public’s awareness and appreciation of Barbados’ bio-diversity.
Children can learn all about the history and development of the island in The Children’s Gallery, which engages them with colour, interactive displays, toys and even costumes to dress up in. This exciting day of learning and discovery will certainly open your eyes to the history and people of the island during your holiday in Barbados.
Barbados Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
The charm of Barbados with the Serenity of Grenada with this twin-centre package to Bougainvillea Barbados and Coyaba Beach Resort
- Upgrade your meal plans at both options for extra value
- Great Value package at Two highly rated properties
- Staying at Bougainvillea Barbados you are minutes from the popular St Lawrence Gap and Oistins
- At Coyaba Beach Resort you are footsteps from Grenada's signature Grande Anse Beach
Discover the best of two stunning Caribbean islands, both bursting with stunning scenery and laid-back vibes
Make the most of tropical luxury at Hawksbill Beach by Rex Resorts, Antigua, before heading to Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts for a relaxing Bajan experience
- With A Perfect Setting And An Array Of Facilities, Hawksbill Offers Guests Amazing Value. The Resort Has A Freshwater Pool, 4 Beaches, One Where Clothes Are Optional, A Wellness Cottage For Masages And Watersports, Tennis, Volleyball And Table Tennis.
- Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts embodies a true Bajan experience, with its rustic style adding to the perfect authenticity of the place.
- Hawksbill Beach By Rex Is Set In Acres Of Landscaped Tropical Gardens, Beside 4 Secluded Beaches, Just 15 Minutes From St John And Only 25 Minutes From The Airport
Make the most of the elegance surrounding two hotels, Island Inn Hotel and Bel Jou St. Lucia
- Island Inn is located in the South Coast of Barbados near to many entertainment, restaurants, bars and Pebble Beach
- Bel Jou St Lucia is the ultimate adults-only paradise - perfect for couples, singles, and friends alike
- Enjoy All Inclusive perks at both hotels in Barbados and St Lucia
Combine Pineapple Beach Club, Antigua and The Club Barbados to truly experience the best of the Caribbean
- The Club Barbados Resort and Spa offers an abundance of activites, a friendly social atmosphere and an excellent base for Barbados
- Pineapple beach offers stunning Beachfront views on 30 acres
- Combined Laid Back, Adults Only, All Inclusive Resorts with plenty of activites to do and nearby attractions to enjoy
Relax and unwind at the wonderful Hodges Bay Resort by Elegant Hotels in Antigua and Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels in Barbados
- Swim through a waterfall during your stay at Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels and reward yourself with a refreshing drink at The Cave bar after your swim
- Make the most of an extensive range of facilities at Hodges Bay by Elegant Hotels, including a deluxe spa, water sports, 3 pools, tropical gardens, and much more
- Discover a number of Caribbean charms including Barbados' famous west coast and Antigua's calm waters and coral reefs
Like many other Antigua hotels, the Rex Halcyon Cove Hotel is situated right on a stunning stretch of pristine beach, so...
Island Inn Hotel is a small, boutique 24-room all-inclusive property renowned for its excellent local meals. The Island...
Relish some ‘you’ time in the Caribbean with a holiday that combines a stay upon the island of St Lucia and the island...
Informal and fun, Pineapple Beach Club is an Adults Only All Inclusive relaxing holiday destination. This hotel...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
You can enjoy all the aspects of the charming island of Barbados, at the elegant Worthing Court located near all the...
Come and soak up the sun with two great value hotels that offer something for families and couples. Starting with...
Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a popular, family run hotel located on a white sand beach in the heart of the vibrant South...
Set in 37 acres of landscaped tropical gardens, the Hawksbill by Rex Resorts is a special little Caribbean hideaway that...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Barbados
Barbados NewsBrowse all Barbados News
As a Barbadian, born and raised, it’s not the first time Rihanna speaks candidly about her native Caribbean island. This time, the chart-topping singer has spoken to Conde Nast Traveller to reveal her favourite places in Barbados, from her hometown to the best seafood, the liveliest nightlife, top bars and the biggest street party of the year.
Now in its second year, the celebration of Dive Fest Barbados 2018 seeks to raise awareness about the protection of the Caribbean island's reefs. The upcoming event to be celebrated next month wants to sing the praises of Barbados' excellent diving sites whilst at the same time highlighting the challenges it faces in order to preserve a healthy fish and coral population.
The Elegant Hotels Group has announced the opening of Treasure Beach, following a $10.5 million renovation project. The luxury hotel is located on the west coast of Barbados and offers an adults-only experience with 35 one-bedroom suites, and facilities including a swimming pool and Tapestry, the onsite restaurant. The property is the seventh hotel to join the company’s collection.