A practical guide to South Africa
National holidays and celebrations
The majority of the South African population is Christian, so they celebrate many of the same festivals as we do in the UK. In addition there are a number of national holidays of cultural and historical significance.
If you're not sure when is the best time to travel, have a chat with one of our travel advisers who can help you make the most of South Africa's many and varied cultural experiences.
Non religious public holidays
- New Year's Day: 1st January
- Human Rights Day: 21st March
- Family Day: Last day of Easter break
- Freedom Day: 27th April
- Workers' Day: 1st May
- Youth Day: 16th June
- National Women's Day: August bank holiday
- Heritage Day: 24th September
- Day of Reconciliation: 16th December
- Day of Goodwill: 26th December
Religious public holidays
- Good Friday: Friday before Easter
- Easter Sunday: Varies each year
- Christmas Day: 25th December
Money and currency
The official currency in South Africa is the rand (R), which comes in easily identifiable notes and coins. The rate with the British pound fluctuates constantly so it's a good idea to check before you travel. Nevertheless, the exchange rate is usually favourable, making South Africa a relatively cheap destination for UK travellers.
You should have very little trouble changing British pounds at most banks upon arrival. ATMs are also widely available in most towns and cities but check with your bank that your card will work beforehand.
In all inclusive resorts you won't need as much cash but it's always a good idea to take some for tipping and emergencies.
As with everything in South Africa, the food varies depending on where you are in the country. Most cities, like Cape Town and Durban, will have a huge choice of fine dining eateries and local delicacies to choose from, including some excellent seafood.
Sample the 'biltong', a traditional dried meat similar to jerky in the U.S. The local 'bobotie' is often described as South African moussaka and made with mince and spices topped with baked egg. And don't forget to try some of the delicious domestic wines.
As diverse as the people and wildlife it is home to, in South Africa the weather depends on where you are located and what time of year you visit. It can range from sunshine-filled skies in the south west to sub-tropical storms in the north west plateau. The weather in South Africa is always exciting, but you can usually expect a healthy dose of sunshine whenever you visit.
- Summer season is from October through to February and winter is May to July, due to its southern hemisphere location.
- It's a relatively dry country, with the Western Cape region receiving the least rainfall each year.
- UK autumn is considered the best time to go as most of South Africa experiences virtually no rainfall and warmer temperatures during this period.
South Africa Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a stay in Cape Town's historical city centre for an intriguing South African adventure.
- The Modern and elegant interior design creates a comfortable atmosphere within which to unwind.
- Relish views of Table Mountain, the Dutch East India Company Gardens and Lion's Head.
- The Cape Town historical city centre location provides easy access to Cape Town's major attractions, including Bohemian markets, 18th century buildings, museums, art galleries and quaint squares.
Discover the beauty of South Africa and the buzz of Dubai
- Explore amazing Dubai while staying at Hilton Garden Inn Mall of The Emirates
- Your journey in South Africa includes all meals and 2 game drives per day
- Excellent services included in the tour: 6 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Luxuriate in Mauritius ahead of a South African Safari
- Enjoy the breath taking views across the Blyde River Canyon (3 Rondavels), Bourke's Luck Potholes, Lisbon waterfalls and God's Window
- There is an 18-hole professional golf course nearby at Anahita
- Free Wi-Fi connection at lobby, restaurant & bar in Mauritius
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Dive into an awe-inspiring South Africa and Mauritius package
- Free Wi-Fi connection at lobby, restaurant & bar in Mauritius
- Walk along jacaranda-lined streets and savour all the sights and sounds from the Voortrekker Monument to the Union Buildings
- Visit to a Centre for Endangered Species allowing visitors the opportunity to view and interact with a variety of rare, vulnerable or endangered animals
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...
Located directly within Cape Town's historical city centre, this tranquil, modern and elegant hotel serves as the...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...
Tour Summary This Cape Town extension starts in Stellenbosch, the centre of South Africa’s wine production....
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for South Africa
South Africa NewsBrowse all South Africa News
A recent article in Luxury Travel Magazine outlines the highlights of taking holidays in Johannesburg. The article focuses largely on the vibrant artistic scene in South Africa's "City of Gold" and gives some noteworthy recommendations of the top must see sites in the city including Maboneng and the Soweto township.
From the best food and drinks to fashion, the arts and surfing, Durban locals describe some of their favourite locations to sample what the city has to offer. Noted as an “alternative guide” to traditional guidebooks, residents give their own personal advice on visiting this unique South African tourist destination.
The &Beyond Ngala Safari Lodge has reopened to guests in South Africa, following a US$2 million refurbishment programme. Located on a private game reserve on the border of the Kruger National Park, the lodge's 20 thatched cottages have all been renovated and expanded to offer outdoor showers, and a new rim flow swimming pool has been added to the property that gives views of local wildlife at the watering hole.