Practical advice for Egypt
National holidays and celebrations
A typical working week in Egypt runs from Sunday to Thursday, with the weekend taken on Fridays and Saturdays.
Non-religious festivals are celebrated throughout the year, and are a great opportunity to mingle with the locals:
- Sinai Liberation Day: 25th April. Sinai areas only
- Labour Day/May Day: 1st May
- Revolution National Day: 23rd July
- Armed Forces Day: 6th October
- Cairo International Film Festival: 30th November
- Sphinx Festival: Early December. Five day arts festival.
Religious celebrations in Egypt are ruled by the Muslim Lunar Calendar, so they fall on different dates each year:
- Coptic Christmas Day – early January
- Birth of the Prophet – between late January and mid-February
- Coptic Easter (Sham el-Nassim) - between April and May
- Bairam Feast (Eid al-Fitr) – three day public holiday, celebrating the end of Ramadan
- Coptic New Year – September
- Feast of Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha)– October. Four-day holiday marking the end of Hajj and the Sacrifice of Abraham
- Islamic New Year – November
Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan, so normal business hours may be affected.
The national currency in Egypt is the Egyptian pound (EGP)
- For the best conversion rates, bring Sterling British Pounds to convert into Egyptian pounds at local banks.
- ATMs accept foreign bank cards and can be found in all resorts and many hotels.
- Traveller's cheques can also be exchanged but offer less value for your money.
Dining out in Egypt is cheaper than you might expect. Influenced by Mediterranean, Nubian, Moroccan and Arab flavours, Egyptian cuisine is diverse and spicy - if you don’t like your food hot, ask the waiter to tone down your dish.
With a strong focus on vegetables and pulses, vegetarians and vegans will find plenty to choose from, with specialities including tahini, hummus, Tamiyya (Egyptian falafel), Koshari (a mix of rice, lentils and macaroni), and Fel Medames (flavoured fava beans).
Coastal areas offer fresh fish and seafood, and meat eaters will find tasty dishes such as Kofta (meat sticks), rice-stuffed pigeon, and chicken, lamb or rabbit stews on menus throughout the country.
With a dry, temperate climate, Egypt enjoys bright, sunny weather throughout the year, with hot summers and mild winters.
- Summer temperatures range between 27°C and 35°C (rising up to 43oC on the Red Sea Coast), with July and August being the hottest months. Evenings are cooler with an average minimum temperature of 14°C.
- The hot summer season runs from May to October and the mild, cooler season runs from November to April.
- Rainy days are scarce and fall mainly during the cooler winter months, between November and March, when temperatures average between 13°C and 21°C.
Egypt Holidays Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Be thoroughly entertained on a journey of discovery in ultimate comfort on a Nile cruise like no other
- All cabins come equipped with sliding glass doors opening onto private balconies and come equipped with all the modern amenities you would expect
- There is plenty to keep you entertained on the ship including a disco, welcome cocktail party and a range of shows
- Make the most of the beaming sun on the sun deck overlooking the Nile offering refreshing cocktails all day until sunset
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Make the most of the centric location, beautiful beach surroundings, luxurious perks and marvellous services of the...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Grab this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of Egypt while partaking of 5-star treatment in one...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Experience utter luxury as you enjoy eight days of uninterrupted R&R along Egypt's Red Sea shores. But apart from sun...
Spend 4 days discovering the ancient wonders of Egypt while you unwind in the luxurious Grand Nile Tower hotel in Cairo....
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Related articles for Egypt
Egypt NewsBrowse all Egypt News
The Egyptian Tourism Authority is optimistic about the future of the country's tourism industry as it predicts 2017 to be a year of growth. After an unstable few years, consumer research reveals that British people are once again looking to travel to Egypt for good value holidays, and a new flight has been launched by Egyptair between Heathrow and Luxor.
A unique Egyptian tour led a world-famous archaeologist is set to take visitors along with private access to some of the country’s most impressive sites and monuments that aren’t open to the public. The Royal Tour of Egypt is a two-week historical tour, with insight into the country’s culture and some of the region’s most impressive discoveries, from the Great Pyramids to the Valley of the Kings.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. has announced that it will debut its W Hotels brand in Egypt with the opening of the W Sharm El Sheikh and The Residences at W Sharm El Sheikh. Scheduled to open in 2020, the hotel will be situated near Naqb Bay, and guests will have direct access to the Red Sea from the 300 metre-long sandy beachfront.