Practical advice for Egypt
National holidays and celebrations
A typical working week in Egypt runs from Sunday to Thursday, with the weekend taken on Fridays and Saturdays.
Non-religious festivals are celebrated throughout the year, and are a great opportunity to mingle with the locals:
- Sinai Liberation Day: 25th April. Sinai areas only
- Labour Day/May Day: 1st May
- Revolution National Day: 23rd July
- Armed Forces Day: 6th October
- Cairo International Film Festival: 30th November
- Sphinx Festival: Early December. Five day arts festival.
Religious celebrations in Egypt are ruled by the Muslim Lunar Calendar, so they fall on different dates each year:
- Coptic Christmas Day – early January
- Birth of the Prophet – between late January and mid-February
- Coptic Easter (Sham el-Nassim) - between April and May
- Bairam Feast (Eid al-Fitr) – three day public holiday, celebrating the end of Ramadan
- Coptic New Year – September
- Feast of Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha)– October. Four-day holiday marking the end of Hajj and the Sacrifice of Abraham
- Islamic New Year – November
Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan, so normal business hours may be affected.
The national currency in Egypt is the Egyptian pound (EGP)
- For the best conversion rates, bring Sterling British Pounds to convert into Egyptian pounds at local banks.
- ATMs accept foreign bank cards and can be found in all resorts and many hotels.
- Traveller's cheques can also be exchanged but offer less value for your money.
Dining out in Egypt is cheaper than you might expect. Influenced by Mediterranean, Nubian, Moroccan and Arab flavours, Egyptian cuisine is diverse and spicy - if you don’t like your food hot, ask the waiter to tone down your dish.
With a strong focus on vegetables and pulses, vegetarians and vegans will find plenty to choose from, with specialities including tahini, hummus, Tamiyya (Egyptian falafel), Koshari (a mix of rice, lentils and macaroni), and Fel Medames (flavoured fava beans).
Coastal areas offer fresh fish and seafood, and meat eaters will find tasty dishes such as Kofta (meat sticks), rice-stuffed pigeon, and chicken, lamb or rabbit stews on menus throughout the country.
With a dry, temperate climate, Egypt enjoys bright, sunny weather throughout the year, with hot summers and mild winters.
- Summer temperatures range between 27°C and 35°C (rising up to 43oC on the Red Sea Coast), with July and August being the hottest months. Evenings are cooler with an average minimum temperature of 14°C.
- The hot summer season runs from May to October and the mild, cooler season runs from November to April.
- Rainy days are scarce and fall mainly during the cooler winter months, between November and March, when temperatures average between 13°C and 21°C.
Egypt Holidays Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Soma Bay Diving Centre offers guests a chance to explore the magnificent coral reefs in the tranquil calm waters of the Red Sea.
- The hotel's dramatic architecture was inspired by the temple at Karnak, combining the splendours of ancient egypt with the comforts of the modern world
- Guests can take advantage of the natural healing powers of the renowned waters and sands of Soma Bay
- The Red sea is renowned for its marine life so guests can take full advantage of the wonderful diving and snorkelling opportunities
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Enjoy a Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday with a wide range of activities
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The Baron Palace Resort is beautifully and ideally located in the heart of Sahl Hasheesh Bay. Sahl Hasheesh is famed for...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Rising above the city, overlooking the mighty River Nile is one of Cairo's classiest hotels. The five-star Ramses Hilton...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Egypt
Egypt NewsBrowse all Egypt News
As booking for holidays to Egypt rise by almost 90 percent, Thomas Cook widens its already ample flight service to North African nation. The British travel company recently added a new trip Hurghada Airport. The first flight of the service departed from Bristol on 2nd May with over 200 passengers.
The Egyptian Tourism Promotion Board has appointed Ahmed Yousef as its new chairman. The country's Minister of Tourism Rania Al-Mashat selected Yousef to lead the organisation. Yousef has worked on marketing and brand strategies for several multi-national companies such as Sony Electronics, ExxonMobil and biotech company Syngenta. He started the role with immediate effect after the former chairman Hisham El Demery resigned in March.
After investing in major refurbishment and renovation works, Marriott International has re-opened the doors of its last acquisition: the Mena House Hotel in Cairo. Set against the impressive backdrop of the Giza Pyramids, this historic palace has been restored and rebranded as one of the company's lavish hotels and is now starting to accommodate guests within its lavish rooms and suites.