Rated 5.0 of 5
Holidays in Egypt
January Holiday to Egypt
My wife and I have just returned from Egypt - landed Heathrow 11.15pm 31st January.
We commenced our holiday 14 days earlier in a tranquil manner with a comfortable flight from Heathrow with British Midland to Cairo and then onwards to Luxor with Egyptair to pick up our Nile cruise boat MS Sherry. We then proceeded to have a delightful river trip enhanced by numerous historical tours of temples and tombs at Karnack, Aswan and Luxor also visiting the Aswan and High Dam, accompanied by Ahmed our exceptionally knowledgeable Egyptologist. On return to Luxor we spent four days at the superb Hotel Sonesta before returning to Cairo for our final three days to see the Pyramids. ALL aspects of our holiday had, to this point, been carried out in a very efficient and professional manner by Excel Travel, The Holiday Place representatives in Egypt.
On our return to Cairo our holiday was suddenly thrown into chaos and at this point Excel Travel changed from excellent to EXCEPTIONAL.
On leaving the airport to transfer to our Pyramid view hotel, what should have been a 50 minute or so drive round the ring road became a 2 hour plus ordeal through the City centre, the ring road was closed by the police and in order to reach our Giza hotel we had to cross the Nile, each route our very cool headed driver took was barred by thousands of protesters and police, not to mention tear gas all around us and traffic chaos as vehicles did u-turns, at times driving straight at us in order to avoid problems ahead of them. Through all of this our Excel Travel representative, Ahmed Gabr remained calm and assuring as he pointed out that the protesters were peaceful and would wish us no harm as visitors to their country.
On arrival at the hotel we were allocated superb rooms on the ground floor of a newly constructed wing and enjoyed a good meal in the Medi restaurant before retiring early after our long arduous day, unfortunately within an hour we were awakened by gunfire in the street directly behind our hotel room and this continued for each of the next two evenings. In the morning we were informed that all tours were off including the Pyramids, which we could see only a few hundred yards away.That afternoon, Saturday, the first curfew was announced from 4.00 pm through to 8.00 am Sunday morning. We were also advised for our own security not to leave the premises even outrside of curfew. We were visited again on Saturday by Ahmed Gabr who again assured us of our security pointing out that the army had now mobilised and a large unit with four tanks and numerous armoured vehicles were now deployed outside of our hotel entrance. Ahmed also advised that he would pick us up on Monday 12.00 noon in order to transfer us to the airport for our 5.20 flight home.
Following further gunshots on Sunday evening and TV reports of chaos at the airport I phonrd Ahmed at 8.00 am and he confirmed our noon pick up time, we then breakfasted and returned to our room to finish our packing, at this point a call from Ahmed advised all plans had changed and he was on his way to pick us up and stressed speed was of the utmost importance, within 40 minutes we were on a bus with other travellers and on our way to the airport. Apparently our plane had left Heathrow 3 hours early with no passengers outbound, in order to become an evacuation flight. On arrival at the airport we were advised of the turmoil we would witness inside, however we were once again assured that we would be absolutely fine as Excel had representatves with permits to operate in the terminal and we would be placed in their hands for safe passage to the check in desks. This was achieved in conjunction with liaising with FCO officials and two Egyptian airport officials, who between them forced a passage for us through huge crowds and utter chaos in order to reach our check in desks, the Excel representative stayed with us until our cases had been checked and our boarding cards issued - exceptional service.
A mention now for two crews from British Midland who gave excellent service and care whilst we endured some 11 hours sitting on the plane. Firstly we were held on the tarmac almost 3 hours at Cairo waiting for permission to take off, water was continually served during this time and tea, coffee and crisps served immediatly after take off, we then had to fly to Beirut in Lebanon in order to refuel and change crews, the first crew being out of flying hours following a 6.00 am start from Heathrow. Landing, changing crews, refuelling and taking off was achieved in around 90 minutes and food served immediatley after take off once again. A full speed policy saw us back to Heathrow by 11.15pm.
Please pass on our thanks to all persons and Companies mentioned, we cannot express our relief on returning home so quickly and our thoughts go out to others who have not been so fortunate.
yours very sincerely
Ray & Brenda Peacock
Egypt Holidays Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Be thoroughly entertained on a journey of discovery in ultimate comfort on a Nile cruise like no other
- All cabins come equipped with sliding glass doors opening onto private balconies and come equipped with all the modern amenities you would expect
- There is plenty to keep you entertained on the ship including a disco, welcome cocktail party and a range of shows
- Make the most of the beaming sun on the sun deck overlooking the Nile offering refreshing cocktails all day until sunset
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Make the most of the centric location, beautiful beach surroundings, luxurious perks and marvellous services of the...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Grab this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of Egypt while partaking of 5-star treatment in one...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Experience utter luxury as you enjoy eight days of uninterrupted R&R along Egypt's Red Sea shores. But apart from sun...
Spend 4 days discovering the ancient wonders of Egypt while you unwind in the luxurious Grand Nile Tower hotel in Cairo....
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT