Evelyn and Mary
Rated 5.0 of 5
Holidays in Mexico and Cancun
Review of Secrets the Vine Cancun
The ‘Preferred Club’ far exceeded our expectations!!
Secrets the Vine is a short 20 minute transfer from the very modern Cancun airport. We were very surprised to be able to enter the airport via a stand and not the dreaded steps. Immigration & Custom formalities were completed quickly and in a very friendly manner.
At the resort which has a security guard and gate; our names were checked against the list, so by the time we had arrived at the hotel entrance we were greeted by name. Our luggage was tagged and taken to a secure area. On entering the hotel we were presented with a glass of champagne and escorted to a lift for check in on the 25th floor – nice touch. Preferred Club guests did not use the main check in desks on the ground floor as each of the Club floors has its own check in desk.
We had a Preferred Junior Suite which at 712 square feet was delightful. The balcony had an incredible view of the ocean, the hotel zone area and the lagoon. The bed was extremely comfortable. Pillows and bedding were of a very high quality. The Bathroom: 2 sinks. Hand held hair dryer (very effective). Separate toilet with high quality toilet paper. Gilchrest & Soames toiletries in large containers. Everything we needed was here except a hook for our bathrobes which we had to store in the closet. The Shower: Very large with the normal shower head plus a large rain shower head. The only thing lacking is a grab/safety rail in the shower. The room was efficiently serviced twice daily. The mini bar replenished once daily with water, soft drinks & beer. Miniature bottles of premium brand spirits were also in the cupboard.
The overall quality and variety of the food was superb. The Market Café was ideal for breakfast and lunch. The juices were freshly squeezed. A large variety of fruit, cold meats and fish. An awesome Omelette bar where omelettes and eggs were cooked to order and perfection by Marissa. Many hot dishes were available including the usual International items and Mexican dishes, bread, cereals & pastries. The servers were friendly and very helpful. Our favourite restaurant was the Bluewater Grill, with Olio and the Sea Salt Grill in joint second place. Dragons served excellent food however due to the very poor lighting one was unable to properly enjoy the presentation of the food and indeed to some extent, see what was being eaten. The management must realize that there is a problem as there was a clip on light provided on the menu!
Very good Chilean house wine by the glass. A wine list was offered selling bottles of wine but we did not feel the need to partake as the quality of the house wine was superb. Beer, soft drinks & premium brand spirits were freely available.
A little noisy with loud music however being in the Preferred Club room we were able to escape to the comparative quiet of the Preferred Club Swimming Pool on the 12th floor. At both areas the staff members were very attentive and always willing to help with drinks or moving sun umbrellas.
Entertainment: A variety of entertainment was offered each evening.
Secrets Spa by Prevonia:
A lovely facility and the staff are very well trained. Spa treatments were expensive until the various discounts & coupons were applied. The only criticism of the Spa was the lockers where a combination lock had to be used. Many of the Spa users including young people had great difficulty opening and closing lockers. We both had to ask for help as one would need a magnifying glass to see the digits.
Bits & Pieces:
Across the road from the main hotel entrance was a Santander Bank ATM machine, a Pharmacy and the little gem of a laundrette/grocery store/coffee shop. Laundry prices in the hotel were very expensive e.g. a T-shirt US$4.50. If staying for more than a week this laundrette facility is a real find. 100 Mexican Pesos for a service wash. 20 pesos extra if ironing required. (No problem ironing in the room with that view of the ocean). The laundry was returned very clean and beautifully folded.
Friendly, helpful, efficient and charming. My twin sister & I were perhaps not the "normal guests" at this adult’s only hotel and we noticed that there were only a few of us in the "3rd Age" age group. Most guests were young. However, we were treated with the greatest of respect. We often managed to get the window seats overlooking the ocean if available.
Niggles: - A few as always but nothing much.
The biggest issue for other guests and for us was one of inconsistency. E.G. - A newspaper was promised each morning but often failed to arrive. A bottle of wine was delivered to our room for the first few evenings but after that we had to go to the lounge and get a glass each time we wanted one (and then go again rather than have the bottle between us). Apparently if we had ordered a bottle of house wine from Room Service we would have been charged!
Noise from fellow guests!
The two Fridays we were there we were very disturbed by the noise from adjoining rooms. The first time guests arrived in a group at 04.30 a.m. and proceeded to smoke and talk loudly on the balcony until 05.15 when my sister went to our balcony and asked them politely to be quiet! The second Friday the guests the other side to us set up a karaoke machine at 11.20 pm. Our balcony doors were rattling with the noise. This time we phoned Security. 2 phone calls later (by this time it was midnight) we asked to see the Duty Manager. He did not come to our room but the noise stopped.
Would we go to this hotel again and recommend it to others? Yes without doubt. One of the best hotels we have ever been to. The noise issue is universal and not peculiar to Secrets the Vine. The rooms, food, and staff the best ever. Going for a Preferred Club room is the way to go if the budget stretches that far.
The highlights of the week were a trip to the wonderful Maya site at Chichen Itza and Turtle watching on our local beach, as this was the egg laying season. The middle late evening we went to the beach and watched 3 giant turtles coming from the sea up on to the beach to prepare to lay her eggs. The first evening we were able to sit quietly a good distance away and watch them. However the following evening we were sitting watching a turtle when a group of tourists came upon the turtle and shouted OMG, OMG, OMG waving their arms about. This completely spooked the turtle. She then hurriedly returned to the sea having not completed her task. Apparently if this happens she will not breed this year. Very sad indeed.
Our “packaged” trip was put together by Gareth from The Holiday Place. All the arrangements & paper work by the company was excellent. We would certainly use The Holiday Place again.
Evelyn & Mary
Mexico and Cancun Holidays Browse all
Stay right beside a protected stretch of beach right in the heart of Playa del Carmen
- There is something to suit everyone's tastes with plenty of restaurants and bars including Maria's offering authentic Mexican fare
- Enjoy endless activities and facilities at the resort including freshwater pools, a rooftop pool and hot tub along with much more
- Gran Porto offers something for everyone with activites suited to adults, kids and teens with Oki Fun World for kids and T-Zone for teens
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- When staying for a minimum of 5 nights between 23rd April - 8th June 2017 & 1st September - 22nd December 2017, One child per room can enjoy unlimited playtime free with various inclusions sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT